PDA

View Full Version : Lake Newboro Ontario fishing report

JaPaRa
07-12-2010, 06:16 AM
I spent last week with my brother on Newboro and Clear lakes in Ontario. I spent all week trying to catch crappie but I had to do it while my brother bass fished. I only got one crappie. I did catch an endless number of bluegills in 8 oz range and I caught at least 30 smallmouth bass in the 2 to 4 pound range with a 1/16 oz jig head and grub on my ultralite gear. I caught more bass on my one rod then my bass fishing brother and all his gear.

gabowman
07-12-2010, 05:11 PM
Those 2 to 4 lbers on UL equipment sounds like alot of fun. Maybe you educated your partner on how it's done down here in the south.;):D

blairarnold
07-13-2010, 09:46 AM
I had 2 of the best crappie trips of my life on Rainy Lake in Ontario. The bottom where we were fishing was 30 ft. deep, but there were so many crappie below us that the digital read showed 22 ft. deep, and they completely blacked out the graph from 22 ft. on down. Man, you would just drop a jig down to 22 ft. or below, and you had a crappie. The other amazing thing about it to me was the size. 5 of us came out of there with our limit, and we didn't have anything under 1 1/4 pounds, and we had 3 or 4 3 pounders.

The guy we were with had sunk cedar trees in 2 spots fairly close together, and the crappie were around them. They didn't look anything like the cedar trees we have here. They actually looked more like a pine or fir tree to me.

JaPaRa
07-13-2010, 09:58 AM
That is what I was hoping for but my brother wanted to stay in the shallowes and it was his boat. And the water temp was 80 degrees. That's OK I am going back in August with my boat.

barry davis
07-13-2010, 10:35 AM
Guess i was mistaken in thinkin they didnt get that big way up north.

blairarnold
07-14-2010, 09:52 AM
Guess i was mistaken in thinkin they didnt get that big way up north.

It sure was a surprise to me. Another interesting thing is the local who took us caught a couple of 3 pound crappie that he threw back. I have discovered that there is a difference in philosophy between northern fishermen and southern fishermen. The northerners seem to think that really big crappie or other fish for that matter are the result of superior genetics and should be released. Most of us southerners think big crappie are a result of a fish living long enough with adequate food, and we eat them. There are several threads on this site, and that's how they tend to break down.

CrappiePappy
07-15-2010, 07:52 AM
It sure was a surprise to me. Another interesting thing is the local who took us caught a couple of 3 pound crappie that he threw back. I have discovered that there is a difference in philosophy between northern fishermen and southern fishermen. The northerners seem to think that really big crappie or other fish for that matter are the result of superior genetics and should be released. Most of us southerners think big crappie are a result of a fish living long enough with adequate food, and we eat them. There are several threads on this site, and that's how they tend to break down.

I tend to break it down like this :eek: ---

Northern Crappie live longer lives, grow slower.
Southern Crappie live shorter lives, grow faster.

Hence ... there's the potential for either of them to reach a good size. ;)

Crappie "genetics" don't change ... they pass their genetics on by broadcast spawning (multiple partners, year to year), so the gene pool would rarely be so narrowly defined, as to create "superior" genetics.

IMHO - only time "genetics" plays a part in anything relating to Crappie, is when they crossbreed naturally, or when man crossbreeds them artificially. I think it has more to do with which species we're referring to (Black or White), and the water conditions they are faced with on a continuing basis (like temp, clarity, O2 content, etc). My thinking is, IF there was a "superiority" genetic factor happening ... certain lakes would be producing nothing but 3-4-5lb fish, on a continuous basis, and they'd be growing to that size in 1/2 the time it would normally take them (for that region of the US).

Just MY theory, though. :D

... cp :cool: