Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problem with Mercury 25 Hp outboard

turkin8or Guest

Question Problem with Mercury 25 Hp outboard

My 1994 25 merc has become hard to start when it is cold, this engine has always started like a new one up until recently. The past couple of times I've used it, it has gotten very hard to start. I replaced the plugs and that did'nt change a thing. When i went today it refused to start at all, so I finally gave it a small shot of ether and it fired right up. What I do'nt get is that once you get it started it runs absoloutely fine. And it is not flooding or fouling the plugs when you are trying to start it. Could there possibly be some sort of cold start injector on this? Please Help!

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

go to themarinedoctor.com he can help you on his forum . he is a mercuray teck . and has a good forum like this . it is for boats and motors
    retired and now i will always fish

Post Thanks / Like

Default Merc starting

If it's like a 1998 Merc 25HP I had, you push in on the key for cold starting. There is some type of electrical device that either chokes the motor, or shoots a rich fuel mixture to it while pushing in on the key.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep, like Shellback said. I believe that motor has an enrichner that is actuated when you push the key in. Take the cover off, and while you listen, have someone else turn the key on and push in and out on it. You should hear the enrichner clicking. If not check the power to it. If you hear it, check the gas lines to it and to the carbs.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

turkin8or Guest

This is a tiller handle model, electric start but no key, just the pushbutton.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Then you should have a manual choke in front of the motor. Has the linkage come loose??
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

did you try this forum . The Marine Doctor's Forum.
    retired and now i will always fish

turkin8or Guest

Yes, I went to the marine doctors forum and I got a quick response. He told me to replace the diaphraghm in the fuel pump. I'll let you know how it goes.

Post Thanks / Like

Default 25 Mercury

I had the same problem with my old 25 Mercury and it turned out to be stuck rings on one of the pistons. I could lift the prop out of the water and apply a little throttle to it and it would crank. Probably not the safest practice. The local Mercury shop wanted $850 minimum to fix it. It was twenty years old, so I fixed it with a brand new one.---Pooch
    Last edited by Pooch; 10-14-2004 at 03:10 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 25 HP Nissan, I had the same problem, I fixed it with a new fuel pump. Good luck, Rusty

Quote Originally Posted by turkin8or
    My 1994 25 merc has become hard to start when it is cold, this engine has always started like a new one up until recently. The past couple of times I've used it, it has gotten very hard to start. I replaced the plugs and that did'nt change a thing. When i went today it refused to start at all, so I finally gave it a small shot of ether and it fired right up. What I do'nt get is that once you get it started it runs absoloutely fine. And it is not flooding or fouling the plugs when you are trying to start it. Could there possibly be some sort of cold start injector on this? Please Help!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast