Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: More Crappie Questions

Post Thanks / Like

Default More Crappie Questions

Alright, I think I've bought enough tackle to last me a day of successful crappie fishing. I havent gone yet, but I hope to go next week.

Well, yesterday I went in some canal just messin around. I tried out some new tackle and techniques yall told me about to just get a feel for it. I dont think there was any crappie in this canal, so I wasnt expecting any. But I caught a bunch of bluegills and small bass. I also caught this big old oscar, it was pretty fun, I cant imagine how much fun crappie fishing must be

Well anyways, Anyone know what types of weather conditions will "turn off" the crappie bite? For example, bass fishing is a little slower after a major cold front. Cause I dont wanna fish hard during bad conditions just to get a few lucky bites, if that happens, I'd might as well just go bass fishing.

And number 2, what kinda structure should I fish... cause on Okeechobee, there aint exactly wood all over the place. Im probably gonna be in Harney pond if anyone knows where that is. I seen fish under that bridge on the depth finder... I dont know if they where crappie or not... Between the first piller and the shore. In the canal, what depth range shoulf I stay in? and would they be past the bridge down the canal, clser to the end of the canal into the lake, or imbetween all of that brushy area a while before the exit area? Oh, and what colors are producing?-if ya wanna share any hints?
    Stop Global Whinning!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't like fishing in an east wind. Past expierence has proven that crappie don't bite as well at that time for one reason or another.
    I've never fished southern shallow water, but I would recommend trying any lay downs into the water or cypress trees, cat tails, or any visible structure.
    good luck! I wish we had your weather!
    Tight Lines!
    Jason Piper

Post Thanks / Like

Default Try The Grass Beds

Now I'm no expert on Florida Crappie but I have a good friend that guides up here on Ky. Lake that goes down there every year about this time and he has told me about the fish'n there. He said he fishes the grass beds.
    Crappie Stomper Guide Service
    Crappie Fish'n With Attitude!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/crappiestomper
    ACC Crappie Stix Pro Staff
    Corn Field Crappie Gear Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Tony, Some friends of mine are down there now, I talked to one of them 3 days ago and they are doing pretty good on the specks about 1/2-3/4 mile from Buckhead ridge lock. They are flipping Lime grn./Chart umbrella tubes into 4ft.dia. holes that they have cleared in the weeds.

frank lawhead is offline RIP Frank - Crystal is now posting on his behalf.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Big (o)

HAVE A FRIEND THAT HAS FISHED OKIE. FOR SEVERAL YEARS---SAYS THIS IS THE WORST FISHIN IN HIS MEMORY
    I HAVE FISHED A FEW YEARS IN HIGHLAND COUNTY [JUST WEST OF OKIE.] NEVER BEEN THIS BAD AND I,M DOING BETTER THAN MOST OF MY BUDDIES
    5 HURRICANES IN 2 YEARS HAVE DONE A LOT OF DAMAGE :
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

bass fished here several times..when we wanted crappie for supper(every nite!) just looked for the floatila of boats closest to ramp and fished around them to catch supper!lol!hope this helps you some!

Post Thanks / Like

yeah these hurricanes really been hurtin us...

I cant really do a night fish... So I guess early morning is my best bet hu? and once the wind picks up, I should just quit and start bass fishing?

Let me know what you guy's friends are catching and where
    Stop Global Whinning!