Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High mercury levels found in 16 OK Lakes

Post Thanks / Like

Default High mercury levels found in 16 OK Lakes

Just read about it on on the Tulsa World website... there's probably better coverage somewhere else but I thought I'd pass it on. Looks like its mainly in a lot of the smaller lakes.

Fish in 16 state lakes show unsafe mercury levels | Tulsa World
    -Damon

Post Thanks / Like

This news article sure brings a sadness to my heart. I hope the damage can be reversed and the fish can return to less than toxic mercury levels.

Thanks for sharing this chance.
    AMERICANS: Willing to cross a frozen river to kill you, in your sleep, on Christmas, totally not kidding, we've done it.

Post Thanks / Like

Stink- The problem with the mercury is that it is in the soil or in the drainage in sufficient quantity to to be absorbed by the fish, or the forage base. The predators then eat the forage and start absorbing the mercury into their meat. The older the fish the higher the concentration. Fish that do NOT eat other fish such as carp are not effected by the mercury.

Post Thanks / Like

Stink- The problem with the mercury is that it is in the soil or in the drainage in sufficient quantity to to be absorbed by the fish, or the forage base. The predators then eat the forage and start absorbing the mercury into their meat. The older the fish the higher the concentration. Fish that do NOT eat other fish such as carp are not effected by the mercury.

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder what the content was 50 yrs ago or 100 yrs ago? None of this was cited in the article. There's just enough information to draw an emotional response. I had those emotional thoughts and feelings reading it.
    I agree that the coal fired plants should be moving to scrub mercury as they do sulfur dioxide and other harmful pollutants.
    At least mercury is heavy and settles to the bottom where it gets covered in sediment removing itself from the food chain unlike other pollutants that suspend and continue to be endlessly affluent.
    Standing in the Gap

Post Thanks / Like

Kit Paper Mouth- I think you best read my comment again about mercury settling out and being covered up. It isn't covered up. It is in solution and absorbed by some of the food chain. Before I wrote my post I confirmed my thoughts with a 30+ year fisheries staff member.

Post Thanks / Like

Does this mean I need to get rid of all that crappie I have in my freezer from Broken Bow. I know the article didn't state crappie, but it also stated they didn't test all spieces. I would have a hard time throwing away about 200 fillets of crappie.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cricket george View Post
    Kit Paper Mouth- I think you best read my comment again about mercury settling out and being covered up. It isn't covered up. It is in solution and absorbed by some of the food chain. Before I wrote my post I confirmed my thoughts with a 30+ year fisheries staff member.
    I see how it could have been interpret from my statement that all mercury settles and gets covered. I should have stated clearer that some gets absorbed and the rest settles and get covered. Not all of it makes it into the flora and fauna.
    The bad deal with channel channel cat & carp is the issue with PCB's and Dioxin's.
    Standing in the Gap

Post Thanks / Like

If coal fired plants are the major cause?
    Interesting how if you go to:
    Lakes with No Advisories
    That Sooner is listed as No Advisory, but Konawa wasn't listed on either list, advisory or no advisory.

The EPA had a fact sheet out in 2005 from testing in 2004, but I couldn't find any other information or data from this testing.

Wonder when we will hear from ODWC?

Post Thanks / Like

Aserioushunter - My comment was based on a discussion with 1 of the departments staff. The key to this is that the forage absorbs the mercury and it is then eaten thereby passing the mercury into the predator. Carp dont eat enough forage i.e. fish to be a concern. Furthermore if the predators are eaten in moderation then their appears to not be an issue with consumption. My understanding is that we would have to eat a steady weekly diet of fish to build up sufficient mercury over a long period of time to hurt us.
    The mercury seems to be a natural occuring substance in the soil so we just have to live with it. Pregnant women and kids can have problem where the adult men and non pregnant women have less of a concern.

This is partly why the 30" length limit was put on the blue cats in Okla. A 30"er is an old fish even though it only weights 10 pounds or so. A 60 pounder has alot more "toxins" in it meat so it needs to be released and not eaten. I have had discussions with ODWC fisheries staff on this very topic. Personally I will refrain from keeping any bluecats over 20 pounds. I would love to land a 50 or 60 pounder on rod and reel and then release it but harvest for the table the 10's and under.

Papermouth- No, I would not suggest you throw out your crappie from Broken Bow. I seriously doubt you eat crappie often enough to pose a problem for you and your family. Of course if you are concerned and want to chuck the crappie my freezer has a little room left in it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast