Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hybrid Crappie In Wood's

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Hybrid Crappie In Wood's

Hybrid Crappie In Wood's

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Got a limit on woods this morning and at least one of them was a hybrid. I've caught them before on woods but never thought to take pics. One is clearly a white crappie another is clearly a black crappie but the one in the middle is a Hybrid. The hybrid had 6 dorsal spines.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Post Thanks / Like

I am thinking the one in the middle may be a white crappie as well. I could very well be wrong but to me it has more indications of a white crappie. Fishhawk, I have caught lots of crappie from Woods and love to fish it. You are gonna have to take me out there fishing with you one day. You know out of all the crappie I have ever caught, I have never really payed attention to whether one was a hybrid or not. If it resembles a black, I just call it a black, and vise versa for the white. I guess I am gonna have to start taking a better look at them. Great catch and congrads. What was your techniques for catching these and what was your bait of choice?

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I was slow trolling with a shinny hinny jig. I'm retired so I can go most anytime so shoot me a pm when you're ready to go cs.

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice crappie and congrats on your catch.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4

Post Thanks / Like

Looks white. The bars are there.

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Funny the topic of hybrids should come up. At our last West Tennessee Crappie Club meeting, I brought this subject up. Tim Broadbent (TWRA marine biologist extraordinaire) doesn't believe there is such a thing as a hybrid. He wants one or a good picture of one. He laughed at the mention of magazine articles, including the ones on black nose crappies.

We had an interesting and informative meeting. I believe he will be at our next scheduled meeting to continue the discussions. I enjoyed the meeting.

If anyone has a picture of one please post it.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by speckfinder View Post
    Looks white. The bars are there.
    I agree. So is the sticker count.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fishawk View Post
    I was slow trolling with a shinny hinny jig. I'm retired so I can go most anytime so shoot me a pm when you're ready to go cs.
    I don't hear very many people mention the shiney hiney jig. I don't jig fish a ton, but when I do, the first thing I reach for is an all silver red eyed shiney hiney jig. Congrats on your catch!!
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

cane pole, I definately think there are hybrids. I just did not think this fish was a hybrid. Were you saying Tim did not know what a black nose crappie was? I do believe there are hybrids for sure, but some fish I think just have deformations that may make them seem hybrid for whatever reason.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappieseeker View Post
    cane pole, I definately think there are hybrids. I just did not think this fish was a hybrid. Were you saying Tim did not know what a black nose crappie was? I do believe there are hybrids for sure, but some fish I think just have deformations that may make them seem hybrid for whatever reason.
    I am just repeating what I heard or believe he said. He shocks fish for a living. I am gonna press him more at our meeting if he shows up. He is a nice feller.

I need pictures to show him. That is what he asked for. He knows what a black nose is, but my take was it is not another species of crappie. There are only black and white types.

Maybe one of the other members will tune in here. I don't hear good, so I could easily have missed the point.
    Last edited by Cane Pole; 07-08-2010 at 04:41 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast