Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Help with a Lowrance x-125

Post Thanks / Like

Default Help with a Lowrance x-125

Hello guys. I need a little help trying to figure out my Christmas present. I have a Lowrance x-125 and I've read to get away from the automatic settings. Could someone that has one of these depth finders help me to understand what to change and what to look for on the screen once I make the change.

Or if there is anywhere to read about what to do I'm more than happy to do that. Thanks so much for your time in advance.

Chad Allums

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

What exactly do you want to change? Also you can go here http://www.lowrance.com/
    and get a lot of info including an emulator for the X125 so you can play with the menus on your computer. I've had one for about 9 months and really like it.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply. I would like to change the sensitivity in order to see my condo's better. Also I want to know what the difference is between grayline and bottom.? Just don't understand everything.

Thanks again for the reply.
    Chad Allums

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SwampDog
    Thanks for the reply. I would like to change the sensitivity in order to see my condo's better. Also I want to know what the difference is between grayline and bottom.? Just don't understand everything.

Thanks again for the reply.
    Chad Allums
    In my opinion, Sensitivity is probably the most important adjustment you have and it will help you locate condos easier. The way I do it is push Menu, enter (sens is the first item on list) then crank it up until I start getting clutter, then back it off until it is clear enough to see easily. This should be done each trip as water conditions change.

As for the Grayline, I don't use it except for telling me wether its a hard or soft bottom. But from what I read about it, it can also tell you the difference between a weak and strong signal. I can see where that would be helpful in locating condos. If it were me, I would anchor over a condo and then adjust the sensitivity and grayline for the best picture. You can't mess it up as you can always go to the menu to reset factory defaults. Also I keep the fish symbols turned off for more detail of what I'm seeing.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

while i'm not familar with this unit, i know that all the ones i've used in the last 35yrs work better in manual instead of auto. first put it in manual. then set depth range where you can get double bottom reading.(a least twice your present depth) i always try to be on what looks like hard bottom area( from observing bank) turn senitivity up or down til you just start to get double bottom reading. turn grayline up or down til gray just starts to show good. make sure chart speed is at max. write it down and put in tackle box! don't ask me how i know! hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks for the help.

Guys I greatly appreciate the help on this subject. I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer but I try. Again thanks for the advice.

I learned today what the difference between a 20degree cone and a 60 degree. Pretty neat how that thing works.

Thanks again for the help.

Chad