Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 14' Sears Aluminum boat - looking for opinions

Post Thanks / Like

Default 14' Sears Aluminum boat - looking for opinions

Hi all. New here...Gotta lot of great information on here...

I have a chance to buy a 14' Sears aluminum boat from a guy I know. Don't know the year, but it's an older V bottom with three bench seats. 9.9 motor on the back, trolling motor, trailer, swivel seats. I think I can get it for around $800.00. Seems like a no brainer, but want to hear what you guys have to say about it.

I looked at it this morning, but didn't remember to pay attention to whether it was riveted or welded. Does it make a difference? Also, the size is my biggest hesitation - is a 14' big enough? I mainly fish smaller lakes around SW Ohio, but go to Grand Lake St. Mary's in northern ohio pretty often.

Just looking for a little more information. Thanks.

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

you can post the modle # here and they will find the year. and the value of it probabley.

http://www.themarinedoctor.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl

or here http://forums.iboats.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi
    retired and now i will always fish

Post Thanks / Like

Default sounds good to me!!!

If it has a motor that runs and you can catch fish with it, sounds like a good investment to me!!!! Plus that 9.9 won't kill you in the wallet!!!! 14ft sounds fine, I have a 17 and sometimes the size gets in the way for crappie fishing!!! Plus you can float shallow and a trolling moter will move it on down the lake!!!! 800.00 sounds like a really good price. Most used motors cost way more than that!!!
    I'll catch them all next time!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I agree...think of it this way...if he's giving you a 9.9 for $200; a TM for $200 and an aluminum boat for $200...you ought to tip him $200 for such a great deal. I agree, unless you have another boat to consider, this one is a no brainer...even if it is riveted. A 9.9 won't be jarring them loose anyway.

Go for it and enjoy yourself.

anchorpuller is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Fishdog,

I have a 14' jon boat (flat bottom) with a 15 HP Seahorse and a nice little trolling motor on it.
    I absolutely love my little fishing boat. It is a rivited one at that and doesn't take a drop of water on.
    I don't know the Ohio lakes at all. While I wouldn't recomend trying to fish any intercoastal waterways with it, I've enjoyed a few large lakes locally without a problem. Now, with a small boat like this, you cannot handle much wind. If I see whitecaps, I gotta do something to get out of em!
    I'm able to take another person with me in mine without any trouble at all, and I guess I could fish three, but probably not very comfortably.
    For me, alone, it works great. It's certainly easy enough to handle and get about anywhere you want to get it.
    I do most of my fishing sitting down, and don't think it would be the greatest for the person that enjoys standing up to fish. It's NOT the most stable boat for someone to run around in.
    I guess, it depends on what you want to do with it.
    For something that requires little investment and gets you on the water and able to maneuver, it works great!:D
    "Be Ye Fishers of Men" You catch them- He will clean them

Post Thanks / Like

I've drug a many a fish over the side of an old 14' jon boat. Go for it!
    Crappie Stomper Guide Service
    Crappie Fish'n With Attitude!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/crappiestomper
    ACC Crappie Stix Pro Staff
    Corn Field Crappie Gear Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Get it and get it now before it is gone.

I have a 14ft jon i bought with a Merc 9.9. i paid $650. I wish it had been a vhull because when the wind kicks up, I have to get off the water. Mine is a 1973 riveted Gamefisher and it doesn't leak a bit. I put a deck on the front of my boat to hide my junk, added a folding bench seat in the middle for my wife and son, installed indoor/outdoor carpet between the ribs, and put on a $99 trolling motor. It's the perfect crappie rig, just need to add some crappie.
    John 21:3
    Simon Peter said to them, "I am going fishing." They said to him, "We are going with you also." They went out and immediately got into the boat, and that night they caught nothing.

And we act like this Nightstalking thing is new.

For some excitment, read the next verse. A special guest arrived, they filled their coolers and had a fish fry on the beach...in the morning. My kind of people.- Bowfin

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Offer them $600 and if he says he'll take it.... Pass on that one. Nobody's gonna give a good boat away and take that big a loss unless the motor needs work ! Be careful, please.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you already own a boat AND I like anchorpullers point...DO U LIKE TO STAND TO FISH? If so, think about that too. But I can tell you from experience, there won't be any "standing up on the deck" flipping to docks or anything close to that. Anchorpuller was also correct in you have to ask yourself, Just how bad could the weather develop in a short time period. To me, if waves build on the lake you fish and you EVER see whitecaps out there frequently and you plan to be out there (or get caught out there) to me the answer would be a no brainer. NO THANKS. But if you are fishing small farm ponds, etc or RIVERS that are protected from the wind and swells, go for it, just remembering the stability factor. Just my 2 cents

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

i disagree with chaunc i had a frind sold or [say give away a 50 hp mercuray on a 15 ft. skie barge] nothing rong with it sold it for $500.00. would have bought it if i had known it and i have 5 boats already :D . it might be a old motor and some think 10 years is to old to be worth anything . if it runns good jump on it . there is no probablem putting a little motor like that in a barrel or trash can and see what it is . or take it to a pond .
    retired and now i will always fish

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast