Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: long poling

Post Thanks / Like

Default long poling

A while back, I saw parts of Bill Dance "long poling for crappie" I was wondering, where are good places in a pond or lake for this, and what kind of bait would you use?

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

When the lake here was new there was ALOT of tree tops sticking up in all of the fish shelters, which were plentiful. I used either a paddle or the trolling motor and used both jigs and minnows on poles to catch crappie. Poles would help reaching over the brush fishing all the little holes in the cover. You'd be surprised how many fish were actually caught right in the middle of the tops.
    Not too much brush sticking up in the lake now but I still use the poles with minnows or jigs, but mainly minnows, when the crappie go shallow. There are alot of beaver huts along the banks of the lake and crappie hold to them pretty good. I have recently added a reel to one of my long poles and carried it night stalking last nite. Didnt really need it since I was fishing tight lines but for me it's a preference since I get a lot bigger kick from catching fish on long poles vrs. rod and reels.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

frank lawhead is offline RIP Frank - Crystal is now posting on his behalf.
    Post Thanks / Like

MY WIFE SLIP BOBBERS ALL YEAR TO CATCH FISH [MINNOWS]
    I TIGHT LINE JIGS OR JIGS AND MINNOWS..
    SOME DAYS SPIDER RIG THEM---THE LONG POLE GIVES YOU LOTS OF CHOICES
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER