Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My new (free) boat!

Post Thanks / Like

Question My new (free) boat!

Ok so a buddy of a buddy gave me this boat, titles and all everything good on that end. It has a 70 hp johnson on it with the 3 carbs. the boat has set for 4 years but a week before he put it up he had the whole motor gone through cost him about $380.00. a week after he got it gone through his father passed away leaving him a real nice bass boat so he just parked this one out by the barn and it didnt move till i picked it up last week. seats and all are gone, but i already have the replacements bought. needs a good cleaning, and carpet and im pretty sure it is gonna need new steering cables. (I've never had a boat with a steering wheel

My question: is there anything in particular i should look for or check.

An info or help is appreciated!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

I'm no mechanic but here are a couple of tips....

Hopefully the previous owner either had fuel stabilizer in the gas or ran it dry before storing. If you had any old fuel in the carbs that sat that long, it could certainly cause a problem. You can buy a can of engine tuner at a marine shop (not auto carb cleaner) and run it through or you can buy a product called Seafoam at most marine/automotive shops which will help to clean things out. Still, if you have too much gunk build up in the carbs from old gas, those things might not help and you may have to rebuild them.

Another thing I would be concerned about is the water pump. A water pump has a rubber impeller in which the blades remain in a bent position. If they have not moved in a few years and have been sitting out in the elements, I would recommend changing it. (Even if that was done before the owner put it up.) I believe the motor manufacturers recommend changing them every year or two anyway.

I would check the condition of any fuel hoses and even look for signs of any critters that may have taken residence in the boat or motor. (chewed wires, nests, etc.) Check that shift, throttle, and steering cables operate freely. Check spark plug condition and gap. Make sure that the tanks are completely empty before refilling them. Even if they are empty, I would make sure there isn't any dried up gunk or rust in them. If this boat uses portable tanks and there is any question, I would replace them. The 6 gallon tanks are not very expensive but not sure what your rig uses.

That's a start....I'm sure others will chime in on some suggestions. Good Luck and remember...

B = Break
    O = Out
    A = Another
    T = Thousand

And

A boat is a hole in the water into which you throw money.

If you understand this, you will have no problems being a boat owner.

Good Luck!
    Last edited by gnrboyd; 07-05-2010 at 12:28 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks so much for the info. It is really appreciated. my neighbor has been a boat guy and a do it yourselfer all his life and he is gonna help me fix it up, but i figured it doesnt hurt to get a few more opinions on what to look at. Thanks again!

Post Thanks / Like

also i need to find a leaf spring for the trailer. Any info on where to get one?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rock_dog View Post
    also i need to find a leaf spring for the trailer. Any info on where to get one?
    I don't really have any first hand knowledge of a good place to get leaf springs. I would think if you took it to any local place that sells trailers they would be able to fix you up. They will be heavy so ordering them probably would cost you plenty in shipping. If you can't find anything local, you could try championtrailers.com. They've sent me catalogs in the past and seem to have everything you'd ever need for a trailer. I'd stick to local if possible if it were me.

Another thing I forgot to mention since you brought up trailers. You should check/repack the wheel bearings for sure.

Fixing up an old boat is like remodeling a house. One thing just leads to another.

A boat forum I've used in the past for motor help is:
    http//forums.iboats.com/
    They have all different categories and plenty of boating experts to lend a hand. Very helpful if you are having motor problems.

Post Thanks / Like

will look in to it on a local level, thanks again!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rock_dog View Post
    will look in to it on a local level, thanks again!
    Here's a few to try in your area:
    bolivar, mo trailer - Google Maps

Post Thanks / Like

what's the make of the boat?

old

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by olduckhunter View Post
    what's the make of the boat?

old
    It kind of looks like a Stram. My buddy has one that'ss from the early 70s but instead it has a stick steering set up. (from front seat) It fishes pretty well actually. He likes it so well that when his motor crapped out about 8-10 years ago, he went out and brought a brand new 50 Johnson and put on it. 5,000 dollar motor on a 500 dollar boat. He still has it and loves it so I guess it was a good investment.

Post Thanks / Like

there is two good days for a boat the day you buy it and the day you sell it good luck with it with some rod holders fish finder and clean up it will be a fishing machine to have fun with good luck it
    team member

of the 2011 winners of the c.d.c. lake hartwell fall fest

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast