Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Fishing spot while traveling to KC area

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fishing spot while traveling to KC area

I have to drive to the KC area this week for business, and will be working out of an office in Lenexa Tuesday-Thurs, and staying in a hotel right by there (I think its in Overland Park).

Since I'm driving, and I HATE being cooped up in a hotel, I thought I might get out somewhere and fish after work Tues and Wed.

Can some of you Western MO folks point me to a lake where I could bank fish?
    IF it was worth hauling my boat out there, I might consider that too, but then I'll have to worry about parking it somewhere while I'm working, etc.

Input appreciated.
    Teach your kids to hunt and fish and you won't have to hunt for your kids !!

Post Thanks / Like

Jacomo, tanycomo and Blue Springs lakes, you can fish off the docks, those are on the East side of the KC area, I'm not familiar with the West, kansas side though.
    http://www.facebook.com/quinn.noldner

Post Thanks / Like

I assume you are wanting to stay in MO as to avoid having to buy an out of state or temporary fishing license for KS. I have not fished there much in the last decade or so but when I used to be boatless I fished at James A Reed Wildlife Area quite a bit.

The area is in Lee's Summit, MO and has 10-12 small lakes (large ponds). You used to even be able to rent john boats there for a nominal fee and I would occasionally bring a trolling motor and battery. (I have no idea if they still do or not.) I never concentrated too much on crappie there but instead fished for bass most of the time and sometimes would just go for bluegill with a fly rod or crickets. I think most of the lakes are stocked with crappie but not sure about quality. Most of the lakes have a lot of vegetation/weed growth along the bank so bring some bug spray. Back when I was a kid (and didn't know better) I got into some really bad chiggers on a few occasions. (Oh man...does that bring back some bad memories. ) It's about a 30 minute drive from Overland Park but could be a little more in rush hour traffic.

Fishing Report 7/1/2010
    James A. Reed Area:
    82 degrees, high, clear; bluegill good; channel catfish, largemouth bass, crappie and redear sunfish fair; all other species slow. (Report made on 7/1/2010) (Typical basic tell-you-nothing fishing report)

area info
    Area Summary

area map
    http://extra.mdc.mo.gov/documents/ar...es/5501map.pdf

map from Overland Park
    james a reed - Google Maps

There are also 3 Jackson County lakes called Longview, Blue Springs, and Jacomo that would be about 30 minutes or so from Overland Park. If you take a boat, you will have to have a special permit. They have daily permits but they are ridiculously priced. Jacomo is probably the best fishing lake (especially for bass). All 3 lakes have crappie but nothing fantastic.

area info
    Jackson County - Lakes

If I was just going after work for a couple of hours, I would stick with James A Reed from the bank as it is more geared for the bank fisherman. Coot and Gopher lakes used to be my favorites but then again, I have not fished there in several years. Also, I recommend taking some knee or hip boots if you are walking around the banks. Depending upon how adventuresome you are, some areas might be muddy and you do also have to watch out for snakes.

Good luck and let us know how you do!