Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My First Actual Night Stalk!

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default My First Actual Night Stalk!

Just wanted to share with you guys my first actual nightstalk that was NOT fishing under a bridge at night like in years past. Sorry if it's so long but here goes anyway. :o
    Me and my son got to the lake @ 8:15PM last night (late start but better than never I guess). It was so foggy you couldnt see your hand in front of your face. After we launched the boat it was obvious that we werent going to the spot we thought would produce a cooler full of fish since we were already going in a circle before we got out of sight of the light at the boat ramp so we decided to just go straight towards the bank across from the boat ramp and go down the lake a few hundred yards instead of heading towards the trees that were back up the lake where we first had wanted to go. Anyways, finally got to another spot we had decided on and was anchored and ready about 9:20PM. Fishing was slow but after about 15 minutes I had a fish in the boat. Seemed slow most of the time we were there but atleast every 10-20 minutes we caught one. That's still alot better than most of the times I had spent under bridges soaking minnows underneath lanterns, especially in January. Heck, I used to NEVER start fishing so early in the year.
    Last night there was a time or two it seemed they was fixing to turn it on since we both would catch one or two at the same time but then it just slowed back down. We stayed a little longer than we first agreed on but wound up quiting at 12:45PM with 26 fish in the cooler. Largest was 1 @ 1/2 lbs. with the bulk of them ranging from 3/4 to 1 lb each. The reason we wound up staying longer was because we were both still facinated that we were actually catching ANYTHING this time of the year.
    I also want to take the time to thank all you fellow crappie night stalkers for your advice. I especially want to thank Rango for all his help and advice on his tools of the trade and getting me set up for night stalking. After last night I know I got alot more questions about things that happened and I thank everyone in advance for sharing their tips and experiences about catchig crappie on the lake. Who knows? With some more experience maybe one day I'll be able to return the favor to another newbie to crappie stalking at night too. :D

BTW, we were fishing Lake Russell right out from the state park boat landing. We were fishing clear water with surface temp 53.3 degrees. Depth we set up in was in 24 feet and we caught fish mainly around 10-12 feet deep. Now we're already planning some changes we need to make inside the boat to make things a little more comfortable and I'm already looking forwards to next weekend!
    Last edited by gabowman; 01-22-2006 at 11:01 AM.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Great Post. I still remember my first Night Stalk. Now just wait until spring when it seems like you do a life timing of fishing in just one night. We've had nights where two of us catch 150 crappie and 5 to 10 catfish.

Post Thanks / Like

Hooked another one. Bet you didn't see another boat al lnight either. there's something about having the whole lake to yourself.
    Scott

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Smedley, coming back in the fog had lifted just a little and I could see a boat or two underneath the bridge. I knew they had to be somewhere and there they were. I guess the fog kept them there since they wouldnt have been able to find their way back.LOL
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes but, I am of the belief that the ones who do something that others were not willing to do will be rewarded. Enjoy the night time.
    Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Where are the best places to night stalk for all four seasons? I have never tried it but with all the traffic on lake of the ozarks anymore that is the only time you can have any peace and quiet other than winter. Thanks for the help.
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Fog=GPS. You can get a decent handheld gps for less than $100. If you get a mapping GPs for a little more, it will give a better idea of the shoreline. I'm looking forward to getting out on a nightstalk myself. just gotta find a nice night.
    John 21:3
    Simon Peter said to them, "I am going fishing." They said to him, "We are going with you also." They went out and immediately got into the boat, and that night they caught nothing.

And we act like this Nightstalking thing is new.

For some excitment, read the next verse. A special guest arrived, they filled their coolers and had a fish fry on the beach...in the morning. My kind of people.- Bowfin

Post Thanks / Like

congratulations to you butch on your sucess. sounds like you'd fit in at a night stalkers convention like a champ. good luck.
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

Post Thanks / Like

I like dropping my lights in about 25' of water. main points and places where the channel swings into the bank always work for me. some people like to hang a lantern in a tree that's in deepr water, then backing off and fishng the tree.
    Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks smedley i'll give it a shot.
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast