Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: horsing out crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Default horsing out crappie

Anybody got any pointer on how to horse out big slabs from their snaggy lair such as steel girders on bridge pylons, thick brush piles, mesquite shrubs and other horrible stuff. What would one do if a big slab wraps your line up around something like a green carp would do? Would too much pressure on a fish cause the hook to pop from a slab's paper mouth?
    Oh I could wrestle a monster fish

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Red face Yep, it sure would

Quote Originally Posted by whiskerwhipper View Post
    Anybody got any pointer on how to horse out big slabs from their snaggy lair such as steel girders on bridge pylons, thick brush piles, mesquite shrubs and other horrible stuff. What would one do if a big slab wraps your line up around something like a green carp would do? Would too much pressure on a fish cause the hook to pop from a slab's paper mouth?
    I have, on occasion, literally "ripped the lips off" of a Crappie, when they tangled themselves in a brushpile. But, that was back when I used 8lb test line. Nowadays, when they burrow into the cover, it's almost a foregone conclusion that I'll break the line, before they submit to any coaxing or pressure .. simply because I'm now using 4lb test. However, that also depends on how deep into the "cover" they are, when they strike .. as well as "where" they're hooked.

If they're hooked in the roof of the mouth, which is where I hook them most of the time when using jigs, there's a better chance of being able to keep steady pressure on them & guide them out. Chances are that they've got their mouths closed, when hooked inside the mouth. When hooked IN the mouth (ie in the lips or lip membrane) they tend to keep their mouths open ... and your pulling pressure also forces their mouths open. This makes them "larger" (in the mouth/head area) and less subject to being pulled thru a narrow gap in the entanglement.

This is just my "theory", and in no way is it a scientific fact, that's based on research.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

If your using the right color they should eat your jig and not get them hooked in the lips. If hooking in the lips then a small change can make all the difference. If hung up try holding pressure without too much to see if they will help you. Even sometimes a tiny bit of slack will make them change what they are doing and end up helping you out, but know sometimes they will win.

I know at least two times this spring I went from them barely getting a hook in their mouth at all to them eating the jig almost to their throats. When they do that you know you have found the color they want.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

If hung up ...I just keep even pressure on the line. Sometimes the crappie are smart enough to untangle themselves and swim out of the cover. I also use #4lb test. If the line breaks then I tie on another of my handcrafted jigs and go back after them again. I do not mind losing a few jigs this way because I can always make more.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd stop using mono, and start using braid. I typically fish the nastiest cover that I can. Using 12lb braid, I can normally get them out of it. If they wrap around something, I'll give them some slack, and then when they take some line, I'll finisse them back around, and swing em in the boat.

Of course I lose a few now and then, but the braid makes a huge difference.

Post Thanks / Like

Never have done it but have heard tell of getting a brazing rod (may have been some other kind) flatten both ends so you can drill a hole in them and tie your lure to one end and your line to the other. Theory being that the fish can't wrap your line around a limb. Again don't know if it works or not.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Bigger hooks will help with better, deeper hooksets as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Give'um slack line as said and with polirized glasses i like to stand up At time's you will see em work there way out as it's instinct then bring'um im! Dependending on fish and /cover? Just my oppoion!
    Reel foot yankee

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
    Never have done it but have heard tell of getting a brazing rod (may have been some other kind) flatten both ends so you can drill a hole in them and tie your lure to one end and your line to the other. Theory being that the fish can't wrap your line around a limb. Again don't know if it works or not.
    You should see one of them things. They use to be pretty popular and I have seen them. Not a pretty thing at all and yes they flatten both ends of the rod and make a hole in each end. They use something to tie on to the top one and the ones I have seen had a snap swivel on the bottom with a hook attached.

Now if you can catch crappie with an ugly big old thing like that you should be able to use line strong enough I would think. One thing for sure they are not going to wrap you line around anything, LOL!

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

If you're not getting hung up, you're not fishing good cover. I just started using 12 braid with 4 pound diameter big difference from 8 pound gold stren you can horse more with braid. for years I never use anything but #2 hooks now I use mostly #4 hooks and put a slight bend to the right or left seems to get better hook sets. The main thing is to keep pressure on them dont give slack unless you just can't get them out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast