Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Good Place?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Good Place?

6 weeks from now i'll be at weiss mart marina, did i pick an ok spot to start? any pointers! I've got a map because all i've heard about is shallow waters everywhere.

Post Thanks / Like

A friend of mine told me his good friend caught 55 good slabs in a little less than 3 hours the other day. Didnt tell the exact location but said they were bumping minnows off the bottom. I wanna say he said in 14 feet of water.

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Xman ...

if you can ... try and find out "how" the guides are catching them. Even if you don't find out "where", you will have a good idea of how deep they are ... and that's 1/2 the battle.
    Weiss is very shallow in places, with lots of stumps and sandbars - and they aren't all close to shore. Lots of places right out in the middle of the lake are very hazardous, too.

You're right around the corner (lake wise) from JR's Marina & the Little River area ... but, I'd advise going by road, if you decide to head over that way. I've been to Weiss a few times ... always stayed at JR's, & fished the Little River section. Slow trolling/spider rigging the channels with jigs, and shooting docks, have been the most widely used methods I know about. Check the reports that you can find, before you go ... then confirm them with the people at Weiss Mart, when you get there. They want you to catch fish, so you'll come back ... so they should give you the straight skinny on what's been producing. ......... luck2ya ...... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Default Xman

The water at Weiss is down a lot right now. I was up there Thursday & Friday and they were pulling water about all day long. The best thing you can have in your tackle is a map right now. Water temp Friday was still in the high 40's, a little warmer back up in some creeks (if you can get there). I was actually surprised at the number of boats that were fishing those 2 days. And by the way I did catch some fish..

Just be careful and enjoy..

Post Thanks / Like

but there is a channel to run..right?? ya'll troll into these stumps just like when you bass fish don't you?

Post Thanks / Like

all this is very helpful guys and i really do thank ya for the info!

Post Thanks / Like

There are river channels to run but they are not marked very well if you are are fishing it for the first time. Would suggest unloading in spring creek or cowan at the actual ramp in the creek or as crappy pappy suggested go to jrs and fish the little river area as it does not have as many hazards. Trolling is the main method for catching fish. Just look where all the boats are trolling and get with them. If you have never considered a guide trip it is well worth the money as you see how these guys rig there boats plus what colors they use and the areas that they fish. Be sure to have tripple blue as this has been a very good color for many years. Coming to weiss third week of March so please leave me a few. GOOD LUCK

Post Thanks / Like

thanks dwightparks i'm sure we won't hurt the popullation! great info guys!!!