Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Starting a Catalpa Tree?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Starting a Catalpa Tree?

Wanting to get some trees started on mine and my Dad's place. I don't claim to have a green thumb so help me out. What is the best type and best way to start trees, seedlings, cuttings, ect.?
    CATCH A BIG-UN

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

A friend of mine had some trees in his yard....he stopped mowing around them and this allowed some seedlings came up. I dug the seedlings up and planted them in my yard.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

That's what I was thinking about doing. Property is sold and developed now but before my Grandpa died he had 6 trees in a row that were at least 12 to 18 inches thick at the trunk. They were huge and tall.
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I have one growing in my yard that was grown from seed. You need to start early in the Spring. Right now, seeedlings would be the way to go. You would need to water them almost daily.

I have a catalpa growing out over the water on the lake I live on. Unfortunately, it doesn't get catalpa worms. If it did, it would draw fish. Catalpa worms make great pan fish bait.

Post Thanks / Like

I have one in my front yard and I hate the dang thing, they are very ugly trees. Line Redtick, mine does not get worms. It only has one year. I was kind of wsihing I knew which trees and bushes you could root as far as cuttings. They have the root tone stuf that I have heard works decently, but it is rather expensive. I saw a lady advertise on the internet that honey works just as good. She said take the small cutting and dip it in honey, but I cant remember then if she just stuck it down in light soil or what, but all she used was honey for it to root and said it worked good.

Post Thanks / Like

i read that crappie. she said to cut a talpha limb and stir your honey with it before pouring it on your pancakes. said it gave it that talpha worm flavor.

old

Post Thanks / Like

I pulled a small one up by the roots and planted it at my house about 5 years ago. Just keep it watered and it will live.

WALLY MARSHALL PRO STAFF
    CATCHIN' CRAPPIE GUIDE SERVICE
    CREEKS ROD TRANSPORT RACK
    870-307-2572

Post Thanks / Like

olduck i bet it tasted great, with less filling too ha ha

Post Thanks / Like

I've seen a broken limb from a catalpa tree take root just laying in a brush pile. I'd say just about any way you want to go as long as it gets water will work.

I've not seen worms on one in many years. This year was outstanding for them as far as blooming around here, but not seen any worms.

Post Thanks / Like

Catalpa tree can be started from cuttings. Limbs can be stuck in the ground and watered, it will root. Push it deep into the ground, a foot is not to far and do not let it dry out. You can cut small cuttings and pot them, keep them watered. If they dry out they will not make it.
    1967/68

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast