Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Rusted Hooks

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rusted Hooks

Which hook is less prone to rust? The Bronze, Gold, Black Nickle, Red... ??
    I store some rigs on swim noodles. Recently I had some bronze sickle hooks that rusted. After I used them one day and then put them back on the noodle the next time out they were rusted pretty bad. They were jigheads only, nothing tied or with any pastic.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like cheap hooks to me, what brand were they?

I get great service from the red, chartreuse, and crawfish colored Eagle Claw 570 and 575's.

Post Thanks / Like

It's because you didn't dry them off good before you stuck them in the noodle. All the moisture stuck and can't dry off so it rusted.

Black nickel is the best to resist rusting that you mentioned. Nickel would be better, and of course stainless is best.

Post Thanks / Like

On my noodle jugs I use a Tru-turn hook for catfish but I also have some smaller jugs I use for Crappie. On the crappie ones I use a red hook that I buy at academy for $2.99 for pack of 10. I could get the eagle claw for cheaper but the red hooks have always caught me lots of fish and they are very strong. I've been crappie fishing on Larto and caught 10lb catfish and also caught a couple very big gar.
    The red hooks I use are not the typical type of shiner hook, the have more of a curved design sort of like a circle hook but not quite as curved as the circles.

The red hooks are on some noodles that are 4 years old and they still work but I noticed this year some of the red has flaked off and the bare metal is showing on the hooks. No rust though and they still catching fish even with the red coming off. When not using them I store my jugs in an enclosed shed away from any rain or elements.

Yadkin Guide is offline Crappie Wall Hanger * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Default No more rust

I also store rigs on swim noodles. I cut my swim noodles into 10-12 inch lengths and use push pins to help secure my rigs. When the noodle is full of rigs. I put it into a large zip-lock bag along with 3 or 4 moisture absorbent (silica-gel) packs. They will not rust. You can get these packs from drug stores or shoe stores for free most of the time. Every pair of shoes comes with 3 or 4 of these in the box. Shoe stores remove them and throw them away. Get one of them to save them for you. NO MORE RUST. I never dry my rigs after use. Just put them back into the bag and seal it up. You can also use these silica-gel packs in your tackle box and your toolboxes. Hope this helps.

Yadkin Guide

Post Thanks / Like

Default Matzuo Hooks

Matzuo bronze sickle hooks. They might be cheap hooks, but there expensive to buy. I never heard of drying off your fishing hooks before putting them away.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nightprowler64 View Post
    Matzuo bronze sickle hooks. They might be cheap hooks, but there expensive to buy. I never heard of drying off your fishing hooks before putting them away.
    It's a must in saltwater (rinse with freshwater). I also have them rust in freshwater when sticking my pretied catfish rigs back in the little 2x3" ziplock bags, and when using pool noodles. It's just because you trap the water and it can't evaporate.