Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Surface Feeders

Post Thanks / Like

Default Surface Feeders

The last couple of nights my buddies and I have been tryin to catch some cats on an ole farm pond. They go crazy on the surface but we just cant seem to catch em. Is there something we can do to catch them up on the surface?

Post Thanks / Like

May be a long shot.... but, when I was a kid there was a small pond that held a decent # of catfish, and we had the same delima. I knew they would bite, just how?? Downsize your gear to a spinning outfit, and only tie a hook to your line. Make some doughballs out of a loaf of bread, season them if you want. They will float on top of the water, and will give you enough weight with the lighter outfit that you should be able to get plenty of casting distance. Its actually a very fun way to fish, if they will take your offering.
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

We Catfish using only a #2 hook and our bait. Using Catalpa Worms or Liver it sinks real slow. This works great on suspeded fish. When we bait holes the fish feed up near the surface or suspended alot.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

try using just a small bait hook, light line and use a grashopper for bait. get a big'n and hook him under the collar, dont kill him. farm pond cats are a great time with light tackle.

Post Thanks / Like

I saw the same thing last weekend. The fish we saw breaking the surface were over 20", and the ones we were catching on the bottom were 12".

How about putting a weighted float on the end of the line, and rigging bait a couple feet back? I primarily use dip-bait, and my favorite tubes have a small sponge intended to float them off the bottom. It might just work.

Just thinkin' ...
    aim for heaven, and you'll get earth thrown in. Aim for earth and you'll get neither.

Post Thanks / Like

Use a 1/8 oz. inline spinner like a Roostertail, cast it out and as soon as it hits the water start your retrieve... you will catch them!

Post Thanks / Like

For real? You catch catfish on a spinner?
    aim for heaven, and you'll get earth thrown in. Aim for earth and you'll get neither.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pgottshall View Post
    For real? You catch catfish on a spinner?
    Yes I do, especially when they're surface feeding!!! If you can find it use the black and white "Whitecoachdog" roostertail inline spinner in 1/8 oz.

Those catfish are either feeding on small fish or insects and that roostertail will be a close enough match for either one, it will be more of a reaction bite than anything. Just keep the lure a few inches below the surface.

I have caught them like this several times on my lakes, I usually think it's bass of 'gills feeding like that at dusk. Then I throw the spinner out there and start catching cats. The first time it happened I couldn't believe it. Then after a couple of more times catching them like that I said "Well I'll be danged!... never thought that would've worked if it hadn't happened to me!"

Try it!
    Last edited by GCD; 08-01-2010 at 10:12 PM.

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GCD View Post
    Yes I do, especially when they're surface feeding!!! If you can find it use the black and white "Whitecoachdog" roostertail inline spinner in 1/8 oz.

Those catfish are either feeding on small fish or insects and that roostertail will be a close enough match for either one, it will be more of a reaction bite than anything. Just keep the lure a few inches below the surface.

I have caught them like this several times on my lakes, I usually think it's bass of 'gills feeding like that at dusk. Then I throw the spinner out there and start catching cats. The first time it happened I couldn't believe it. Then after a couple of more times catching them like that I said "Well I'll be danged!... never thought that would've worked if it hadn't happened to me!"

Try it!
    Man folks here catch Catfish on just about any lure especially when the water gets hot. I 've caught lots of Channels on Bass Spinners , Bass jigs , Crankbaits , and ect. We even catch an occasional Flathead or Blue on artificals. Mostly Channels cause here that is the major species of Catfish. The Catfish are predators and love Shad , minnows, Bream , or just about anything that passes close by when in feed mode. They will surface to feed on hatches like Mayflies at times.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs