Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Anyone else using catfishing rods for Spider Rigging?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Anyone else using catfishing rods for Spider Rigging?

Been looking for 12 to 14ft rods that will handle the way I'm fishing spider rigging. Or better pushing jigs and stuff with heavy weight (Ms Power trolling)
    So going to just go with 14ft Glass rods for catfish the tips can feel even a bream bitting and plenty of backbone along with handling weights up to 6 oz or so. But still great with 1 oz.
    So trying to see if anyone else is going this route ? Most rods i have seen that might do this in crappie rods are way more then I will spend on 8 to 10 rods.
    Pete

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

When I trolled , we used 16.5 B-n-M BLACKWIDOW POLES.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

What kind of catfish rods are you using?

Post Thanks / Like

check the B&M website they has glass rods for 13 bucks

Post Thanks / Like

Blackwidows have not handled what I'm trying at all. How much weight and speed were you using on them?

blairarnold still looking have not bought them yet.

boatboy54 I have 14 of these rods your talking about no way will they handle 1 to 2 MPH and enough weight to keep the baits straight under the tips of the rods. Wish They did.

The Capps & Coleman Series Trolling Rod is close to what I'm looking for. Guess I'm hunting something that,s not there. Years ago we used big cane poles and they held up. May have to just dry me some 14 to 16ft Bamboo poles and use them. I have a hay shed I can hang 20ft pieces from to let them dry right.
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShilohRed View Post
    Blackwidows have not handled what I'm trying at all. How much weight and speed were you using on them?

blairarnold still looking have not bought them yet.

boatboy54 I have 14 of these rods your talking about no way will they handle 1 to 2 MPH and enough weight to keep the baits straight under the tips of the rods. Wish They did.

The Capps & Coleman Series Trolling Rod is close to what I'm looking for. Guess I'm hunting something that,s not there. Years ago we used big cane poles and they held up. May have to just dry me some 14 to 16ft Bamboo poles and use them. I have a hay shed I can hang 20ft pieces from to let them dry right.
    Pete
    Well, I was wondering how they worked. I'm looking myself, and the consensus seems to be the Wally Marshall Tightline special is the stiffest and will stand up to the most weight, but I was hoping you had found a better (cheaper) alternative.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blairarnold View Post
    Well, I was wondering how they worked. I'm looking myself, and the consensus seems to be the Wally Marshall Tightline special is the stiffest and will stand up to the most weight, but I was hoping you had found a better (cheaper) alternative.
    I hope to find out soon. Looking like its going to be one of those deals where I just buy 2 rods and try them out. Until I find what I'm looking for. Now to save up the extra $$ to do it.
    Pete

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I use B'n'M Pro Trollers for almost everything....spider rigging, power pushing off the front, pulling crankbaits off the back etc. and they work good. For single pole fishing with jigs and minnows I use B'n'M Sam Heatons.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep