Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: drop shotting

Post Thanks / Like

Default drop shotting

any of you guys use the drop shot technique much. Seems to be getting more attention as of late. Haven't really used it much and just curious what you alls experience with it is???
    Missouri-Fishing.com! Total Fishing Resource for Missouri Anglers!

Post Thanks / Like

You get a 16 lb shot(cannonball). Drill a hole though it. Thread a nylon rope through the hole and tie a knot so it doesn't come back through. Use your $2000 fishfinder to locate a school of fish and start drop shotting. (No, I'm not drunk)
    Last edited by GRIZZ; 01-21-2006 at 01:27 AM.
    Good things come to those who bait.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Not very helpful either ...

DWM ... I don't use a "dropshot", I'm more of a jig slinger ... but, yes, several members have mentioned using it with success.

Click on the "Search" link above - when the search line drops down, click on "advanced search" - when the screen changes, type "dropshot" into the "Key Word" box - then click the "Search Now" button, at the bottom of that grey field (leave everything else as is). It should bring up posts that discuss the use of the dropshot rig.

For further exploration into this technique - use Google and do a search for "dropshot crappie" (both words, without quotation marks). This should give you sites and articles that relate to the use of this method for Crappie. ... luck2ya ...... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a recent thread that talks about fishing drop shot:

Drop Shot

Post Thanks / Like

Mr. Crappie told me last year at Columbia Mo Bass Pro to tie a 1/4 oz. bell sinker on the end of your fishing line. Then go up 12 to 18 in and tie your hook or jig on with a loop knot, then go up another 12 in. and tie another one on. This enables you to feel the bottom or brush without getting your hook tangled which would disturb the fish. He was on tv doing this with a couple of kids last year but it might have been winter. Hope this helps a little...

Post Thanks / Like

Default dropshottting

Keep a dropshot rig ready at all times, usually use a 5/8-3/4 oz sinker on botton w/2 minnow hooks spread 14-18" apart. Long thin wire hooks are becoming more available now so I have started using those w/good results. Also a good trollling rig and drifting rig.

Post Thanks / Like

I like to use half ounce pensil sinkers on my drop shot rigs. Pensil sinkers don't hang up as much and don't cause as much resistance in the water as some of the other sinkers do. The pensil sinker I buy have a release on their eyes that will release the sinker if it gets snagged. Then, all you have to do it put on another sinker. It is a good thing.

Post Thanks / Like

If you don't won't to use dropshot sinkers. Just slide a sinker over your line. Then crimp a splitshot below that. If you hand the splitshot will still slide off and let the sinker drop off.
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

...then drop shottin ain't new .. i heard it called a "kentucky rig" couple decades ago??

Post Thanks / Like

GRIZZ
    After reading you post I was laughting so hard I had to leave my work area.
    So my coworker read your post and join me.
    The Crappie are always biting better yesterday - I'm always a day late.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast