Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4'7" rod used for flyfishing!

Post Thanks / Like

Default 4'7" rod used for flyfishing!

this is my "setup" i'll call it.the rod(quantum micro spin model ms-54sul) is an ultra light rod that is really slender.on the rod handle it has plastic pieces for a reel seat,which i have moved to the bottom of the rod handle to hold the tiny reel in the same area a reel would be on real fly rod.the reel i acually ordered from pen fishing rods website.it has got to be the smallest fly reel i have ever seen!i took some fly line off of an older heavier fly reel and used it on this tiny thing.i have power pro 10 pound test as fly line backing,and a leader.im not sure exactly what size the fly line is.im new to fly fishing and fly tying.i've started on jigs a few months back,and started doing some flys after i put together my rod and reel lol.im not familiar with fly line termanology or anything either.what size fly line would you recomend for my setup?i desire a fly line that is smaller diameter than what is already on the reel so i could possably fit more of it on the reel.the reel doesn't seem to fit a lot of fly line on it in the first place.i imagine i would be able to cast further with more fly line?the thing casts smoothly when im casting properly.i feel confident i could bring in heavy strong fish without anything breaking easily.the rod iteself is a 1 piece graphite rod.and with that power pro 10 pound,not much stands a chance of breaking off unless its a species with sharp teeth.anyways here's a link to photos i took with my digi cam of my fly rod,reel,and flies,hope you enjoy. Christopher Spaloss's Photos - june27 | Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

I encourage newbies to start out with a basic, 8-9' 5wt or 6wt rather than try to "mix and match" their own outfits. I think it makes learning a lot easier. Also, with a rod that short, your timing has to be perfect. Shorter rods are not as forgiving of mistakes as longer rods. Lee Wulff was an expert caster, and he didn't go below 6'. Ed Shenk is another short rod lover, and he occasionally dropped below 6'.

Still, far be it from me to spoil your fun if you're set on the short rod. I would contact Ray Bauer at Global Dorber. They build a short fly rod called the Lil' Streamer. It's built with spinning rod guides and is designed to shoot line. I believe they recommend using a level line for this. I'm sure he could give you some good tips. You can read about the rod here:

global dorbeR group

Post Thanks / Like

cool thx!i don't have any problems getting the line out with the rod being that small,and its so much lighter to carry around with me than like a 8' rod or so.also i am carrying around an UL rod and reel as well as my light fly rod.the only main problem i can have sometimes is getting fly stuck in brush behind me because im standing too close to it lol.i wouldn't doubt that happens with longer fly rods too.being able to fit more line on the tiny reel is an issue as well.im thinking about making the leader a tad longer as well.my friend is putting together a short kind of rod for fly fishing too.he is using pieces of broken rods he's salvaging.probly going to epoxy the pieces together.i am thinking about possably using some kind of tape around the plastic reel seats on the handle to maybe hold the reel a little more secure.sometimes it moves a little.it has never come off tho.it probly doesn't really matter.i guess these few things are just some concerns with my fly rod.other than them im satisfied with it.if i wasn't satisfied with it i probly wouldn't have even tied flys to use with it lol

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 5' 2wt fly rod that I had built and I love it.
    I can cast 45 to 50 feet of line with no problem.

Jerry Hamon
    Van Alstyne, Texas
    http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w142/texascrappiefisherman/MSKFCPRES_zps568e5f40.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by texascrappiefisherman View Post
    I have a 5' 2wt fly rod that I had built and I love it.
    I can cast 45 to 50 feet of line with no problem.

wow looks nice!

Post Thanks / Like

texascrappiefisherman,
    If you dont mind me askin where did you get it? Also how much did it cost you? I would like that because one of the creeks I like to fish is alot of walkin and the fish are small so that would be a great outfit for me!!

Thanks,
    AC
    Following in the foot steps of the master fisherman!!
    Mark 1:16-18

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ACSooner80 View Post
    texascrappiefisherman,
    If you dont mind me askin where did you get it? Also how much did it cost you? I would like that because one of the creeks I like to fish is alot of walkin and the fish are small so that would be a great outfit for me!!

Thanks,
    AC
    Global Dorber sells a short fly rod called the "Lil Streamer" that you might like. It's designed for the type of fishing you're talking about. They have a bunch of models from around 4'6" all the way up to 7'6". Approximate cost is $100. You can check them out here:

http://www.dorber.com/flyrods.html

They are located in Flippin, Arkansas and have an excellent reputation.

Post Thanks / Like

I was hopin to get one alil cheaper then that, I know fly rods are more pricey then traditional rods....but that is more then I paid for my 8ft fly rod.

Thanks,
    AC
    Following in the foot steps of the master fisherman!!
    Mark 1:16-18

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ACSooner80 View Post
    I was hopin to get one alil cheaper then that, I know fly rods are more pricey then traditional rods....but that is more then I paid for my 8ft fly rod.

Thanks,
    AC
    Just do what bxn did: get a cheap 5' UL spinning rod (like a Bass Pro Microlite) and put a fly reel on it. It'll work just as well.

Post Thanks / Like

This is the danger in replying to old threads. I already posted this info a month ago! :o

Quote Originally Posted by deathb4disco View Post
    Global Dorber sells a short fly rod called the "Lil Streamer" that you might like. It's designed for the type of fishing you're talking about. They have a bunch of models from around 4'6" all the way up to 7'6". Approximate cost is $100. You can check them out here:

global dorbeR group

They are located in Flippin, Arkansas and have an excellent reputation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast