Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smithville Lake Question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Smithville Lake Question

We were there all day yesterday and well I was there most of the night anyway I was on the dock and noticed ALLOT of turtle looking things growing on the boat lift linesOnly problem was they were not turtles seems to be hard. Wasnt right for sure if it was some kind of mussel or what. We were at Little Platte

Post Thanks / Like

Zebra Mussels ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MOfishmgr View Post
    So far we have not found any at Smithville, but the sampling that found them in Pomme hasn't been analyzed for Smithville yet. A little care with your equipment can help a great deal. Thanks
    Granted, this was posted about a year ago, but...Wondering what they latest is...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TnRidge View Post
    Zebra Mussels ?

Kinda what I was thinking to but our slip is out at the end of 1 of the docks in deeper water app. 15 f.o.w. some were small but others were big, wish I had my camera with me to take a photo of them

Post Thanks / Like

if they were big it wasn't zebra mussels. I would guess you are seeing bryozoans. They are actually a colony of invertebrates that can form masses up to 10 inches in diameter. some will call them jelly fish because they look a little translucent. The may look slimy but are actually fairly firm. We'll be swimming the docks this week checking every boat, line, etc for zebra mussles.

Post Thanks / Like

if they were big it wasn't zebra mussels. I would guess you are seeing bryozoans. They are actually a colony of invertebrates that can form masses up to 10 inches in diameter. some will call them jelly fish because they look a little translucent. The may look slimy but are actually fairly firm. We'll be swimming the docks this week checking every boat, line, etc for zebra mussles.
    Thanks our slip is in C Dock at Little Platte

Post Thanks / Like

got them blob all over table rock lake, I think that means good clean water.

Post Thanks / Like

Let's hear what you find out, Jake.

You're swimming at Jacomo these days tho, right? Not Smithville?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Mostly at Jacomo, Blue Springs and Prairie Lee. I am finishing up the last year of the vegetation project at Smithville Lake. Since we use that crew to do our montioring, they are swimming the docks today. And yes the presence of Bryozoans means good water quality! They'll be washing up all over the lake when the water goes down leaving many of them hanging in the air on tree branches.

Post Thanks / Like

I saw a couple of Bryozoans last week while fishing the timber . I had never seen them before . I poked them with my rod tip and them seemed as hard as a rock , yet looked like a jellyfish as you described .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast