Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boat Modifications "Adding 2 Front Deck Pedestals"

Post Thanks / Like

Default Boat Modifications "Adding 2 Front Deck Pedestals"

I have a Bass Tracker and need to set it up with a double seat in the front.

(1) How hard is it to get the carpet off the front deck, and restuck down ? ? ?

(2) Does the front deck come off where you can use Bolts, Nuts, Washers and Lock-Tight to put down 2 new bases ? ? ?

Just can't bring myself to using Self-Tapping Screws for something with that much pressure on it. Anyone have the Low-Down on the front deck of a Aluminum 17.5' Bass Tracker...

Thanks for any help...

Post Thanks / Like

If your Tracker's front deck is plywood, you'll need to use these:

they're called Star nuts, the metal spikes dig into the plywood and allow you to remove and screw the base down after you put the plywood back down. They're flush mount so as not to interfere with the framing members for the deck screws like a nut and washer would. You will need Stainless steel Star nuts.

When you remove the carpet it will be ruined and you will need to buy a new piece. You should also remove the carpet backing and glue from your plywood before putting down the new piece of carpet.

You should purchase one of these to roll your new piece of carpet into the glue.
    Shop Kobalt Extension Handle Roller at Lowes.com
    Use a marine grade carpet glue.

Your front deck is screwed down through the carpet, you'll have to hunt down each screw and remove it. You'll probably have to remove the bow nosing, trolling motor, and kick plates too.

Have fun!

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I screwed the bases down on mine with wood screws dipped in epoxy....put the bases down right over the carpet.....have not had any problems. I did remove about a 4 inch square of carpet where I had to cut the large hole for the base center to go down into.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

My Tracker Boat is aluminum, and the decks are aluminum. No wood on boat at all. keith

Post Thanks / Like

rivnuts

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Creamlevel Kennels View Post
    My Tracker Boat is aluminum, and the decks are aluminum. No wood on boat at all. keith
    When you dismantle the front deck you should use whatever method they used at the factory to install the 2 new ones. I'm guessing a couple of backing plates will be needed.

Post Thanks / Like

Before dismantling the front, you should see if you can access under the front deck through your storage compartments. You can feel around and see if your aluminum decking is screwed down and maybe feel and see how your pedestal is mounted, it might save you a lot of time and work.

Post Thanks / Like

I have six bases in my boat, all are fastened with stainless sheet metal screws. I have never had a problem, and I am #300+.
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

My son has a 17' tracker. When we installed his new MK trolling motor he was able to get to the bolts by removing the section of the deck that goes down to the floor of his boat. He's a small guy and could reach back under the deck. And on his boat there is plywood underneath his deck. As already suggested, I'd mount the plates over the carpet unless youve already planned on recarpeting your boat.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Creamlevel Kennels View Post
    I have a Bass Tracker and need to set it up with a double seat in the front.

(1) How hard is it to get the carpet off the front deck, and restuck down ? ? ?

(2) Does the front deck come off where you can use Bolts, Nuts, Washers and Lock-Tight to put down 2 new bases ? ? ?

Just can't bring myself to using Self-Tapping Screws for something with that much pressure on it. Anyone have the Low-Down on the front deck of a Aluminum 17.5' Bass Tracker...

Thanks for any help...
    Here is a link to a forum full of guys who are making modifications to tin boats: Jon and V boat Conversions and Modifications - TinBoats.net

I would talk to them first.
    Jim (Ike) Isaac - San Diego CA

Purveyor of sea stories, fish tales
    and other prevarications.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast