Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big Head Carp

Post Thanks / Like

Default Big Head Carp

The subject just came up again. Any of you guys had one these thing jump in your boat and slime you ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Flyin Carp

Quote Originally Posted by JIM 1
    The subject just came up again. Any of you guys had one these thing jump in your boat and slime you ?
    Never been dive bombed, but seen plenty of em. Funny Story- A guy I know was on the Missouri river boat riding two years ago. He's got a 1860 Lowe big john with a 25 horse tiller. His wife was sunbathin on the front deck as they cruised up from Washington Mo. One jumped over the bow and his wife cussed him for splashin water on her. He tried to tell her it was the fish but she did'nt believe him. Anyway it happened 2 more times, the third she came up swingin. Bout the time she stood up a 14 pounder came over her shoulder and hit my freind right in the face. She believed then, broke his nose and two black eyes. Man if you was going 40 or 50 MPH it could kill ya...izzy

Post Thanks / Like

I got hit with a 12 pounder last fall on the Lamine River, little did I know until I did some research, that river is crawling with them. Nastiest fish I have ever seen, covered with blood, slime, and "worse". Took me three hours to clean up my carpet and seats.

They say the ILL river has so many that all the guys build protective cages over the boats. Just imagine a 15 pound fishing hitting your throttle and hammering you in reverse, or full speed. Unless there is a dam between me and the MO/Mississippi watershed, I ain't going.

By the way Izzy that river believe it or not has some great crappie fishing, south of I-70 back towards 50 highway, but I ain't going there until they get these fish killed off.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Yep that's them, isn't that picture one of the nastiest durn things you have ever seen!

Post Thanks / Like

Ya'll mean those things actually jump out of the water at the boat with that much frequency? Thats about the wildest thing I have every heard.Glad there not down here in Arkansas.

3Gd

Post Thanks / Like

3gd, if you have any rivers in Arkansas that feed the Mississippi, you have them. They are known to be in every tributary of the MISS. and The MO rivers unless stopped by dams.

Post Thanks / Like

Dang thats one butt ugly fish!
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Which Jim

Quote Originally Posted by JIM 1
    I got hit with a 12 pounder last fall on the Lamine River, little did I know until I did some research, that river is crawling with them. Nastiest fish I have ever seen, covered with blood, slime, and "worse". Took me three hours to clean up my carpet and seats.

They say the ILL river has so many that all the guys build protective cages over the boats. Just imagine a 15 pound fishing hitting your throttle and hammering you in reverse, or full speed. Unless there is a dam between me and the MO/Mississippi watershed, I ain't going.

By the way Izzy that river believe it or not has some great crappie fishing, south of I-70 back towards 50 highway, but I ain't going there until they get these fish killed off.
    Which river ya talkin about Jim, the Lamine or Missouri? Used to catch em off the Missouri in the creeks and sloughs till I sold my Shoal Runner, can't get my new one up them now. Threegirlsdad them things can launch their selves 6' out of the water for 15'. If you get in behind the wing dikes and do circles in your boat it drives em nuts, they'll jump in your boat, even out on the bank. Have heard they make good cut bait for the kitty fish, never had the stomach to touch one though...izzy

Post Thanks / Like

I had one jump in the boat with me in an old riverbed just off the mississippi river, landed right at my feet it definitely startled me to have a 10 pounder jump in the boat with me.

http://www.fishingpixels.com/asiancarp1.html
    Last edited by ejones1961; 01-21-2006 at 12:05 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast