Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Floatation Idea

Post Thanks / Like

Default Floatation Idea

Thought I would share this with everyone and see what your opinions were. Our IT department got in approx 50 new computers and in the packing were these “closed cell foam blocks” So I’m in the process of replacing the floor in one of my boats and thought they would be better than the normal “white Styrofoam” used for flotation. They are easy to cut and place between the ribs of the boat and act as additional flotation and a sound barrier. AND THEY WERE FREE!!! Any comments would greatly be welcomed.

KYLCrappie
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    That's a KEEPER!

Post Thanks / Like

Just threw out a couple hundred of them, never thought they looked floatable before I'll try and grab a chunk and see about floatability.

Fatman

Post Thanks / Like

cant tell but if thats an open cell foam it could actually hold water.

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

When it comes to safety I personally would get the real product. Your life is not worth the few dollars saved. Water could get in the open spaces. Interesting idea though but I guess I am skeptical.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree.
    Good thinking, though. I believe I would just go ahead and get the non-permeable insulation board. It's very dense and I don't think you would have any water retention problems. I just replaced mine last summer. It's not that expensive.

Post Thanks / Like

I have use some of that on a floating live well around my dock. so far no problem with water retention??? I have it in a 15 gallon drum that I use for fish waiting to be cleaned

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

The foam that is used in boats is fuel resistant....gas will not eat it up. Using another type foam well that may not be the case.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Billbob is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2013 Guber Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

good point g3
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Crappie.com Pro Staff
    Guber Pro Staff
    Cane Pole Pro Staff
    Haulin Ash Pro Staff

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I believe that is closed cell polyethylene foam. I had an idea to revive the water wagon last year using that material but the idea fizzled for several reasons. Good stuff but do your tests first. Doesn't absorb water was my take from the supplier.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

My Tracker deep V has the expanding spray foam floatation in it and it does such a great job that I won't have another boat without it! I can fish all day with the drain plug out and never notice it until I pull the boat out of the water... not that I'd ever do anything like that.:rolleyes:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast