Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Pomme 6/19-21

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pomme 6/19-21

My son and I spent the past couple of days down at Pomme. Picked up a few here and there the first day fishing around the little standing timber we could find (we are so used to the unlimited timber at Truman that Pomme looks almost barren in comparison); used only jigs with blue and white or purple and white being the best color combo. No great number of fish but did manage a few keepers with the biggest coming in at 11 1/2" +/-.

Decided to change tactics on Sunday and switched to minners. Glad we did. Left the standing timber and found a couple of brushpiles. Morning was the same as before, a few here and there, but it really picked up for the afternoon fishing. Got out at around 530 or so in the pm and fished until dark. We parked over one brush pile for a couple of hours and prolly caught 60 or 70 crappie with minners. The magic depth seemed to be about 30 FOW and down about 12-18 feet. Man it ws fun. More shorts than keepers but so what they were still fish and it was still fun.

Funny thing happened though. Got up and out before 630 the next morning, thinking we would continue tearing em up. Went right back to the same brush pile and only caught 4 or 5?? I guess the fish migrate out of the deep water during the night as the temps start to lower. My question being, where do they go? Should we have moved up into the adjacent shallower water trying to find them? What a difference a few hours can make. Oh well, was a great trip and a lot of fun. I'll try and post a pic or two of "junior" with a couple of his bigger fish.

Good fishing all!
    We do not want the gift of a fish; neither do we expect a lesson on fishing; what we direly need is a chance to fish

Post Thanks / Like

Bugman was just telling me his bite was better the later in the day or as least he got into bigger fish in the later. Congrats on the catch.
    Monk

Post Thanks / Like

Bugman was just telling me his bite was better the later in the day or as least he got into bigger fish in the later. Congrats on the catch.
    That was definitely the case for us. Afternoon was much better. All part of the learning process. This was the first time that we have fished "blind" over a brushpile, just trusting what the depth finder was telling us, it was fun. Normally we just tie up to a tree and vertical jig or cast, it was cool trying something new. Lots of recreational boaters down there this weekend so it was a little tough to stay over the pile, just worked the trolling motor and it worked out just fine.
    We do not want the gift of a fish; neither do we expect a lesson on fishing; what we direly need is a chance to fish

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by grb22 View Post
    That was definitely the case for us. Afternoon was much better. All part of the learning process. This was the first time that we have fished "blind" over a brushpile, just trusting what the depth finder was telling us, it was fun. Normally we just tie up to a tree and vertical jig or cast, it was cool trying something new. Lots of recreational boaters down there this weekend so it was a little tough to stay over the pile, just worked the trolling motor and it worked out just fine.

You learn to trust that depth finder and have one you can trust, and you'll find fish that you did not know where there. Congrats again.
    Monk

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on the catch and figuring them out.

Post Thanks / Like

The way the fish are doing on loz (glaize) is early in the moninig in the stained water on the flats they are out scattered chasing shad and you can't buy a bite when the sun gets overhead around 10am or so they are tucking up under brush still in shallow water around 6' and you can wear really nice fish out,down the glaize in deeper clearer water they are around brush and docks all day long but the better fish are very hard to find and i have to hit alot of spots to pick up decent fish.To answer your question i'd guess those fish are out chasing in lowlight conditions and it would be a good idea to check out some shallower wood and to hit alot of spots to find better fish,hope this helps it might not pertain to pomme fish but it's working on loz.
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

the better fish are in the piles with 14 to 22 foot of water most of our fish this time of year are right on the bottom in the piles try to fish 2 to 5 inches up from bottom
    pounding pomme for slabs

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a couple of pics from a fun weekend at Pomme de Terre. "Junior" is getting pretty good!

Here are a couple of the bigger ones that we kept. The right one is the first black that we have seen in a while.

Here is one of the ugliest crappie that I have ever seen. I made him throw this one back it looked so bad! HA!