Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Question about lure making products.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Question about lure making products.

Where is a good place to buy lure making products for hair jigs and things for crappie? Does Wal-Mart carry any or do I need to order it online? I have never done it, but I have some colors I would like to make and try.

Post Thanks / Like

Cabelas has most every thing you need, look in fly tying supplies for hair, thread and the like, they have good selection of painted heads or you can buy plain and paint or powder coat yourself. Here are some links if they don't have what your looking for
    httphttp://www.barlowstackle.com/?:/...taminainc.com/
    Also check craft stores for stuff like feathers, hair, and paint is a lot cheaper
    Last edited by Boscoe; 10-12-2004 at 06:12 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wal-Mart craft shop....

Quote Originally Posted by crappieseeker
    Where is a good place to buy lure making products for hair jigs and things for crappie? Does Wal-Mart carry any or do I need to order it online? I have never done it, but I have some colors I would like to make and try.
    I have found many items at W-Mart to make jigs, including marabou, feathers, knitting yarn, colored nylon thread, etc. etc. and more. Their craft shop is well equipped, they just don't know how valuable their stuff can be to a crappie fisherman, and at a price we can afford! Things like flashaboo, head glue, beadheads, tying vices, and other fly tying specifics will have to be ordered or bought at a fly shop, and they will be marked up considerably. If I may offer a tip on finishing a jig, I like to use 5 minute epoxy to cover my last turns of thread, and the head if it's painted. It's tougher than head glue and leaves a glossy smooth finish. Looks very professional. I have seen certain Wal-marts that had a fly tying section with just about everything you would need to get started. If you live in an area where trout fishing is popular, you may find everything you need at Wal-Mart. Be careful, it's addictive! Good luck.......

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default supplies

I get my stuff from Barlows Tackle, and from Netcraft. Also Wal-Mart, Hobby-Lobby, and local craft shops. My 2 cents.

Cane Pole
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Jann's Netcraft is the best

I buy most of my supplies from Jann's Netcraft - http://www.jannsnetcraft.com
    I also pick up odds and ends like beads at Hobby Lobby and quilting thread at Jo-Ann's Fabrics. Check the craft supply store closest to you. If we take a drive to Cincinnati, I'll get things at BPS, but their general catalog selection is limited. You might request their White River fly fishing catalog.

Get resourceful. I bought a pheasant pelt from a guy selling training supplies for bird dogs. I've tanned road kill rabbit and deer for natural hair, and now that squirrels are getting hit daily, I'll try to pick up a couple of squirrel tails to use for dressing trebles. If you know someone with sheep, see if you can get a little raw wool to use for dubbing. - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern