Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crappie Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie Jigs

I've noticed that the smallest size jigs and jig heads walmart sells are 1/32 oz. What about smaller sized jigs like 1/22,1/24, or 1/64?Do you guys make the smaller jigs yourselves?
    Panfishing is fun!

Post Thanks / Like

The smaller weight sizes are usually hand tied. Go to the jig tying section. There are some tyers who sell those sizes. Painted and bare head jig heads as well as made up.
    First liar never has a chance!

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Pa17 ...

Quote Originally Posted by panfish_angler_17 View Post
    I've noticed that the smallest size jigs and jig heads walmart sells are 1/32 oz. What about smaller sized jigs like 1/22,1/24, or 1/64?Do you guys make the smaller jigs yourselves?
    Walmart does sell smaller jigs & jigheads ... they just may not sell them in "your" area. Go to the Crappie Business Directory sign, at the top left of the page, and click on it. Then click on "jigs" .... those members are site sponsors, and they make all sizes.

My main source is P&S Custom Tackle, but I've received many good looking jigs & jigheads from various other members, too. 1/64 - 1/32 - 1/24 - 1/16 ounces is the most widely used range of weights, for most of us in the South & Midwest ... with our Northern anglers employing weights below the 1/64oz, alot more often than we do, since they have "hard water" periods :p

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I have had good luck getting 1/64 and 1/80 oz jigs from my local tackle shops. They generally do not stock them but if you ask they are often willing to find them and order them in. Sometimes they actually have them in stock with ice fishing jigs if you are in an area that stocks ice fishing supplies. If not just ask the local guy if he can find you some from one of his distributors. It works for me with the really light jigs and also my favorite bobbers and soft plastic panfish baits. No one carries either of them but two of my local dealers order them in just for me. In fact they have been so kind as to order them for me but not put them on their shelves as regular stock so I still have that little secret that the rest of the locals do not know about.:D
    It is not about the equipment you have to use,
    It is about how you use the equipment you have. :D

Post Thanks / Like

Walmart sells Trout Magnet jig heads. They are 1/64 oz.

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Check with TCI enterprizes from ebay. Tommy Crenshaw will fix you up for a good price too.

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation

Grousefly and other members here on the forum can hook you up with 1/64. 1/80. 1/100 jig heads. Also check out jannsnetcraft.com and you can find the heads. Go to the jig tying forum and ask questions. You will learn to tie jigs that catch fish.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

With the replies you've received you can get them here, depending on the plastics ask about them here too, you'd be amazed at what the guys are pouring.

If you decide to tie you'll get all kinds of help.

Fatman

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fatman View Post
    With the replies you've received you can get them here, depending on the plastics ask about them here too, you'd be amazed at what the guys are pouring.

If you decide to tie you'll get all kinds of help.

Fatman
    Right, I tried tying my own but discovered that I could buy them for what I had in the tying setup. I tied about a dozen of various patterns. Then I went to the lake with rod, tackle, new jigs, and a bucket full of anticipation. Didn't even get a nibble on the self made jigs. In fact the water literally rippled with laughter when the crappie saw those masterpieces of the jig tying art. OK, maybe the jigs were not what some would call perfect, but the crappie should NOT display such blatant disgust.

Post Thanks / Like

myself i make my own heads from 1/80-1/2oz. i bought some one time and the hooks kept breaking in either the eye or under the lead so i pour my own now...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast