Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: How to locate Crappie.

Post Thanks / Like

Default How to locate Crappie.

Hey folks,

I'm curious how one would go about locating Crappie. I live in the Upper Penninsula of Michigan right on Lake Michigan. All the places around here to fish from shore (I don't have a boat) seem to just be thick thick weeds with a sandy bottom. I don't even know if this area is known for having a Crappie population. I'm just curious what kind of structure I should look for that might hold some Crappie.

Post Thanks / Like

Escanaba River pictures by jbernard79 - Photobucket

This is one area that I thought might be decent for Crappie but all I get is Rock Bass, Smallmouth and Walleye.

Post Thanks / Like

I've never fished for crappies up there, but I love fishing for smallies. It is beautiful country up there.

You might try posting your question on the Michigan thread. Good luck

Post Thanks / Like

Hard to locate Crappie under those conditions, with a boat and sonar it's a little easier.

I'd say forget about Crappie and concentrate on Yellow Perch, Pike, and Walleye... they're about the same as far table fare and much easier to locate under your conditions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GCD View Post
    Hard to locate Crappie under those conditions, with a boat and sonar it's a little easier.

I'd say forget about Crappie and concentrate on Yellow Perch, Pike, and Walleye... they're about the same as far table fare and much easier to locate under your conditions.

That's the thing GCD, I catch so many perch and pike that it is fun trying to search out other fish to catch. I am just really enjoying fishing with ultra light-light gear and tackle.

Post Thanks / Like

Spawn is over here and would think even up there too, but I don't know. I do know you will have a much easier time next years spawn around the grass you are talking about.

Now if there is a creek coming in near the bank like I know of several on this lake that the creek comes very close to the bank. When the spawn is over and the summer patten starts they move to creek banks and ledges in deeper water. They may only be down 12' or so, but the water depth is going to probably be 20' or deeper where they will hang out all summer. If any creeks come in close you could try the bends in the creeks.

Other than that I don't know, but this time of year you going to need to find some deeper water to fish in. Now if there is any places where that deeper water comes in close to the bank you may try night fishing with a light in the water to draw them in.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

sounds like you need to put out some tops in the deeper areas. bring them to you.. also bait the top. if its legal.
    SHUTUPANDFISH!!! SORRY IF I OFFENDED ANYONE, NOT MY INTENTION, MUST HAVE BEEN A GATOR OR LONGHORN FAN. ROLL AGAIN TIDE. HOOAH!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MichiganCrappie79 View Post
    Escanaba River pictures by jbernard79 - Photobucket

This is one area that I thought might be decent for Crappie but all I get is Rock Bass, Smallmouth and Walleye.
    hey, i fish there all the time. never caught crappie in lake MICH i hear you can catch em at the ore docks but i havent tried it and i dnt kno if you can do it with out a boat