Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Flyfish?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Anyone Flyfish?

Anybody here like to flyfish? Can you flyfish for crappie? What kinds of flies are usually best for them?
    Stop Global Whinning!

Post Thanks / Like

Tony I have fly fished for many years and yes you can fly fish for croppies. Any type of small streamer in white, chartruse, silver and so on will work. Coneheads will help get the flies down to the fish as well as a sinking line. Believe it or not you can use small jigs on a fly rod also. I have caught a lot of Crappie on Shad darts and Shad style flies also. I wish I had a camera that I could get a few pictures on here for you to see. But again yes you sure can catch crappies on a fly rod. In fact I have out fished spin fishermen a time or two with a fly rod. Ron

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Ok ok, gotcha. I got some of those. woolybuggers will work too right? Do they have to be deeper and slower like with spinning tackle?
    Stop Global Whinning!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ant patterns

Hard body ants in size 10-12 work good in spring around brush. Also small 1/160 jigs can be trown on fly rod.
    2008 Buggs Bash Champ! SML Dock Shooting King!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jigs

I tried fly-casting a 1/16 oz jig and grub on my 7 wt rod with a styro/peg strike indicator about 1.5-2.0' above the jig (8' 10 lbs test leader). I was able to roll cast it okay. This might enable you to "merge" into the fly-rod route using regular crappie jigs. I'm going to try this out when crappie are spawning and shallow and will also use my fly rod as a regular crappie pole by vertically jigging the rest of the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Flyfishin' Specks

I do alot of FFing for Trout, Smallmouth, and Gills. And I'll go after crappie with flys on smallish ponds if I'm after Gills and happen across a school of 'em, but spinning gear and jigs are much more efficient for crappie I think. On larger reservoirs a spin fisher will kick your butt day after day.

Anyway, here's a pattern that does well for me, on Gills...and the crappie eat'em too especially if there's a midge or mayfly hatch going on.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Default More Crappie flys

Here's an EZbody Minnow that is alot of fun to fish, but honestly it hasn't impressed me in its fishappeal just yet

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie flys

Then there's the "Sand Eel", if you are into sinking/or sink-tip lines this one can keep your line straight.

Post Thanks / Like

Default flys

But here's my ace in the hole Crappie fly

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast