Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: East Arkansas road trip

Post Thanks / Like

Default East Arkansas road trip

Smaller Lakes and oxbows dot the map in eastern arkansas. I got a good reference about Dunn and Austell. Im going to hit these lakes this spring and was wandering if there are any other lakes in that part of the state that stand out in anyones mind? I could make a road trip out of it and fish other lakes besides these 2.

Post Thanks / Like

Midway, a shallow water oxbow (1000 acres) outside of Hughes, is an excellent fishery for huge quantities of big slabs. Considering that it is an oxbow, check the gauge on the Miss River at Memphis. Midway begins to fill at somewhere around 23 ft. If you catch it just right (rising about 1/2 ft per day), fishing can be dynamite. Another good point is that spring is an excellent time to wade-fish the east side of the lake, especially the big killdee. I have fished this lake all my life and consider it one of the best lakes in eastern ark. However, there are more oxbows in this part of the state than you could possibly fish in a lifetime. Good luck. You are entering excellent crappie country.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting that its listed on the map as "Council Lake" but when i zoom in its called "Midway". This is the same lake right?

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a lake that looks interesting to me. Lake Earling down on the Ark-LA border south of Millwood. This site has fishing reports on the lake and pictures and a map of the lake on it. Check out the pic's some big Crappies. Looks out of the way to. I am sure you could ask and get questions answered by these folks. Ron

http://www.arklaoutdoors.com/main.html#Fishing%20Report

Post Thanks / Like

Is there a web site where you can check the river guage? You have me interested in midway i have fished old oxbows but never one that is still connected to the river sounds like it is great fishing if the river is right.
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

On the lake map of Erling it lists 2 places as having cabins.....Pine View and Lake View. I cant find any info on either on of them. Anyone know anything or know a link to these 2 places?

Post Thanks / Like

Go to the Board on the web page I gave you and post that question there. Or just e-mail them and ask. Like I said I am sure they would be more than willing to help as they want your business. Ron

Post Thanks / Like

carp -

Midway and Council are the same lake. I believe Council is an older name, since the only people I have heard call it that are older gentlemen. As to your second question, midway is not usually connected to the river. Only at that stage does the river start flowing into the lake. Midway is extremely low right now, but the river should get high enough to put some water into it before the spring. Here is the website to check the gauge at memphis. http://ahps.srh.noaa.gov/ahps2/hydro...ew=1,1,1,1,1,1

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lakes in eastern Arkansas

I thought I would throw my 2 cents in. I absolutely love storm creek north of Helena. We typically start out at Austell, go south to bear creek then to storm creek. Storm Creek is about 625 acres. It averages about 20 ft deep. The scenery is geat. The gorges around the lake decend hundreds of feet. Everything is ivey covered.

There is a ten horsepower limit on all forrest lakes so th "lake lice" are nonexistent. There are also some monster hybids in there. We troll the flats adjacent to the channel with roostertails. We usually catch enough for a fish fry. The neat thing about the lake is the fact you can cath 10 lb. catfish 3 feet off of the banks with nightcrawlers.

Old town south of helena is a great lake for really big crappie. I heard that it is down considerably right now. Being 3 hours away, I don't get there nearly as much as I would like. I would love to put the first house on that lake. (STorm Creek). Gotta go, hope this helps. Michael

Another like I love is Des Arc.

Post Thanks / Like

Spikes, I'm going to run down to Old Town Sunday, just to check out the water level. I usually fish that lake starting in the middle of March, however as warm as it has been one might consider an early start this year. We have had some good hard rains here in West Memphisbut, I don't know about it in Lake View.
    I'll let you know what it looks like.

Carpoop, CEP is right on Midway, it is a good place to fish for big crappie. CEP, it must be you and your buddies wading that point over by the Big killdie. You fellows sure get up early :D beat me to that spot everytime

Quote Originally Posted by spikles2
    I thought I would throw my 2 cents in. I absolutely love storm creek north of Helena. We typically start out at Austell, go south to bear creek then to storm creek. Storm Creek is about 625 acres. It averages about 20 ft deep. The scenery is geat. The gorges around the lake decend hundreds of feet. Everything is ivey covered.

There is a ten horsepower limit on all forrest lakes so th "lake lice" are nonexistent. There are also some monster hybids in there. We troll the flats adjacent to the channel with roostertails. We usually catch enough for a fish fry. The neat thing about the lake is the fact you can cath 10 lb. catfish 3 feet off of the banks with nightcrawlers.

Old town south of helena is a great lake for really big crappie. I heard that it is down considerably right now. Being 3 hours away, I don't get there nearly as much as I would like. I would love to put the first house on that lake. (STorm Creek). Gotta go, hope this helps. Michael

Another like I love is Des Arc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast