Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Holly Beach, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Holly Beach, etc.

Last summer was the first time I tried speckled trout fishing. Made a couple of trips to Grand Isle fishing the surf and really enjoyed it. Since it's closed now, can anyone give me some suggestions of other places to try--like Holly Beach or other places in SW La.? Can you fish the surf around there? Is it any good? Any motels nearby to stay in? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

I would think you need to talk to Shadow or Tiger. I am not too sure about the surf fishing. All I can tell you is that they were catching alot of fish off of the jetty pier this past weekend and a couple of my boys fished across the ship channel from the pier and caught a pretty good mess of reds. And there is a motel in Cameron. Not sure on the rates, maybe salin lake jigs can give you some info on it, i know him and Kim stayed there before.
    You can't fish with a hung line!

Post Thanks / Like

I used to fish on the beach pretty often for specks. It is usually feast or famine. If the water is pretty you will normally catch fish, however many times it is really muddy. The water will get clear (green) if the wind lays for a couple of days or even better, if there is a north wind. The best time is the fall when the first fronts come through. I have had some unbelievable trips in Sept and Oct. I always did better on the east side of the jetties. I haven't been since Rita and don't know if you can still get to the beach from the end of the jetty road. If you are talking about fishing for big reds in the surf, I have never done that. Hope that helps. I warn you that you can drive down there only to find the water so dirty it is unfishable.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info. Sounds like a pretty big gamble to drive down there from North La. Guess I could take my metal detector and walk the beach if it's too muddy to fish.

Post Thanks / Like

It would be a gamble. About the only sure time would be in the fall when a front comes through and there is a couple of days of light north winds. Then it is on. With your metal detector, I am sure you would find a bunch of beer tops.