Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: GPS question

Post Thanks / Like

Default GPS question

Does anyone know if you can use the typical street navigation GPS systems (ie: Garmin, Tom Tom, etc) for fishing purposes?

Do they have features where you can type in the coordinates and it will lead you right to that area. And also, I would like to have the ability to save an area as well. And/or do they make fishing map cards for those units as well.

I have some that I am going to try to buy in an auction and just looking for another way to save money.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Garmin auto gps that I take on long trips. I've been on a few roads that did not show up on their maps (a few county dirt roads) and it kinda goes bonkers. I think it would be hard to set waypoints or navigate on a body of water unless there was a road on it!

Now, my GPS on my Hbird 1197, love it and don't know how I got along without one!

Post Thanks / Like

Thug, I use an old I finder. I have used the H2O as well, and I have one built in on my LMS520, but, the I finder works just fine and you can find a good used one on Ebay for around $50. You can input the brushpiles into the I finder and just go from there. The ones I've used have been very accurate too. Not to mention, the Lowrance website offers some free topo maps for the Ifinders of some of the area lakes. Oologah, Skiatook are a couple of them.
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the recommend reaper. What model ifinder do you use? I see a few different kinds.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Etrex ledgend with bursh piles on it. I bought a Mapsource program for it that shows all US lakes. some lakes show more detail than others Oologah depth start at 18 ft. and doesnot show small creek channels. Also you have to down load from your computer if change from Oologah to Eufaula. The chip card Navionics uses would be better but do not know of a hand held unit that offers the card. I do not see why you could not use it to find the brush piles without the Mapsource (lake info).

Post Thanks / Like

I don't see why people don't just go on Craigslist and buy a cheap used handheld for $25 or $50. Load the brushpiles in there and go get em!

Post Thanks / Like

If you were planning on buying maps for the lakes you can look at Fugawi's list of compatible devices Here and see if any are there that you were going to get. They make a lot of maps and are partnered with Navionics which has over 17,000 US lakes and over 1000 HD maps with 1' contours. You can probably also download other maps just so the device won't freak out when you are off the road depending on the model and the people that make it.
    -Damon

Post Thanks / Like

I dont know why I didnt think of that in the first place Meat Dragger. Heck I sell on there all the time and I didnt ever to think of purchasing.