Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Grenada Changes

Post Thanks / Like

Default Grenada Changes

January 18, 2006

Stricter crappie limits proposed for Grenada

By Bobby Cleveland
    [email protected]

In a move it says is to maintain one of the country's best trophy crappie fisheries, the state's wildlife commission today approved more restrictive limits on Grenada Lake.

The Commission on Wildlife, Fisheries and Parks proposed a 12-inch minimum length limit and a 15-crappie daily creel limit on the state's largest reservoir.

Current regulations allow a 30-fish daily limit and fishermen can keep all crappie over 10 inches in length.

Under state law, the proposed changes would become effective in 60 days. Public comments on the change will be accepted for the first 30 days, on until Feb. 17.

North Mississippi fisheries biologist Keith Meals said the changes are based on comments received from 400 Grenada fishermen.

"We did a series of on the lake creel surveys during which we asked crappie fishermen if they would support more restrictive limits on Grenada," Meals said. "Of those, 93 percent said they would support tighter restrictions.

"Of that group, 30 percent wanted a longer size limit, five percent wanted a lower creel limit and 65 percent wanted both the longer size limit and the lower daily limit."

Post Thanks / Like

Default Grenada

I think it's a great idea. I think that we also need some sort of reduced daily creel limit on Sardis to prevent the trollers with 20 poles from catching multiple limits day after day after day. It has to be hurting the quality of crappie fishing on the lake.
    Last edited by Pops; 01-18-2006 at 09:12 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Well you know the Missouri folks will now be lining Sardis and Enid

Post Thanks / Like

Well if if it gets to crowded for ya you tell em, izzy said you could come up to Missouri and fish. If I got ticked every time I saw an out of state boat, I'd have a coronary. It's gettin crowded everywhere brother, not just in Ole Miss. I'm really sorry ya feel that way....izzy

Post Thanks / Like

Default Grenada

Izzy, why would anyone want to go to Missouri to fish, with everyone there having coronarys and all?

Post Thanks / Like

Beats me Pops, sometimes I wonder myself. The crowds is the main reason I took up nightstalkin...izzy

Post Thanks / Like

Not mad at ya. I just know how crowded Grenada is and how the change will make the places I fish more crowded. Besides I gotta gripe about something b/c everybody knows Missouri is shortstopping our ducks with piles o corn.

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to hear rebel, I thought you did'nt like just us poor ole Mo. boys. Like I told Pops it's gettin crowoded everywhere and I agree it's hard to swaller to pull up to your hole and have 10 boats waitin for ya. Can't blame the corn on ME though, them quackers and honkers is the only thing I don't hunt...izzy

Post Thanks / Like

Not all of us mo boys come down there to fill up our freezers we can do that here but with smaller fish. I personally like what they are trying to do on grenada, hopefully there will be enough slabs to go around. I have met some great locals on the lakes i fish in miss they dont seem mind us mo boys being there you know the ones that dont yo yo and will throw a fish back once in a while.
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Sure wish we could get some regulations on crappies in our Iowa lakes. Maybe that's why I like Mark Twain so much. They seem to want to enhance the resource down there for better fishing for everyone.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast