Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Advise for Grand Lake??

Post Thanks / Like

Default Advise for Grand Lake??

Headed to Grand Lake tomorrow from up here is Kansas.

Anyone got a current report?

Think we are going to target trolling for white bass, jugging for cats.

Anyone have a pattern for crappie?

I figure you want to set your jugs on the flats in 10-12 feet of water with shad.

Are the shad schooling up yet?

Thanks Seth

Post Thanks / Like

Check the sticky at the top of the Oklahoma Crappie fishing section... its all about the OK summer pattern.
    -Damon

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Medic,

I went to Grand on a hunt for some Sandies on Sunday and didnt have much luck which is very rare for that lake. I did see some occassional schools busting up the water here and there but it was very few and far between and they didnt last long. Its hard to catch them when they are spread out like that. For the most part, lately they have been real bunched up and you could catch one every cast. Perhaps it will be like that for you. I fished the south end but I hear the North end near the Elk river is where they are slaying the sandies right now.

As far as Crappie goes, the Crappie fishing is on the upswing. We are catching them in 15-25 ft of water now. The best bet for Crappie fishing is to jig fish around docks that are baited. You wont kill the Crappie but you wont get skunked either.

I dont catfish much but I hear they are spawning.

Post Thanks / Like

Grand Lake right now is a night thing. Find docks with lights that cast a good aura on the water and get ready.. Throw 1/32nd ounce and 1/64th ounce jigs usually orange and or hot pink for me, and it should be a good time. Caught so many a couple of weeks ago my arm was hurting. Remeber limit on Grand is 15 per and 10" long or better.

Post Thanks / Like

I l;ike to throw into the light and let it drift back to the shadow and Bammmmm. Booyahhh baby fish On

Post Thanks / Like

Camped over night at Bernice and did not even get time to fish for crappie because the blues were so hot.

We caught 30+ blue cats from Wednesday evening to early Thursday morning. We set out 5 jug lines and about the time we baited the 5th jug the 1st jug would be jumping. We cleaned 25 blue cats - all in the 3-6 lb range.

I only caught one cat on pole.

We found that the cats were hitting whole shad over cut shad. The cut shad would soak for hours (some over night) without getting a hit. The whole shad were hit in less than an hour.

We trolled from Sandies with little success Wednesday late afternoon.

We had a blast - thanks for the fishing reports.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry you didnt get into the Sandies. That lake can really produce them if you can find them but I havent had too much luck lately either. Sounds like you got into some good cats though.

Post Thanks / Like

Between the Bernice bridge and Blackberry Island there is a hump that rises about 10-15 feet from the surrounding area. Try slab spoons there in the mid to late morning and again a couple of hours before dark. When I was growing up there we used to catch them in the hundreds that way this time of year.