Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Winter dock fishing?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Winter dock fishing?

Anyone fish docks in the winter time? I know a guy that fishes one on pickwick and him and his wife catches a limit every morning and he has them cleaned before he gos to work at 9am.
    But have no ideal where it is. but I know theres a few docks there that are sitting over deeper water. And I would bet theres a few that have soem heat on them now./
    So guessing I need to make a trip and just run around in the boat checking them out. fix up the extra temp gauge where I can run it near the docks and see if I can find any that has warmer water then the others.
    Also how would you fish the docks in the winter time?
    Also looks like I will be getting the Humminbird 987 c SI depthfinder. Then I can look under the docks. LOL

pete

Post Thanks / Like

Come on up to Lake of the Ozarks, there is only about 10,000 docks to choose from. And ever size dock that you can can think of from docks will range from 10'x10' to some 60'x100'. A few are heated, most are just a open style with just a roof. Heated or not heated doesnt seem to really matter. Heated ones are just nice if its cold and windy out. But fishing around docks is the way to go during the winter around here.
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Also will be fishing from the boat.
    So in Mo the fish stay on the docks even if they are not heated in the winter time?
    Also we have some docks here that cost around $250,000. Some of the people on pickwick have more $$ then brains.
    Also theres even docks on the main lake now and hanging over 50ft of water.

Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Oh man I know what you mean. On tellico lake there are $6figure docks all over the place. People are nuts. I'd happily live on some of those docks.
    Good things come to those who bait.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Were it me .....

and the dock was a "floating" dock ... I'd drift fish minnows all around it. And if it was a stationary dock ... I'd be shooting jigs under it.

Docks with "heated" rooms, usually have Cedar trees hanging around the interior opening, or they have a brushpile under them (and the dock stays in the same general area, even with water level fluctuations).

Even floating docks can be "shot" ... but, mostly in the boat slips or under the pontoon boats moored there.

Just be mindful of the dock and boats moored at them .. don't tie up to them, be careful not to "hit" the boats or "hang into" anything on them (with your baits, or boat). If you see the owner, strike up a conversation and ask permission to fish around "their property". They may even tell you about the brushpile they put out, that just happens to be 30ft BEHIND you ... that you'd never have known about, or found on your own. Show them that you respect them & their property, and they might even tell you of some other good places to fish. ........... luck2ya ......... cp

Post Thanks / Like

amen to that CP!
    Look around the dock for rope that is tied off and going strait down. There may be trees attatched to the rope! Also most larger docks that are located on or near a creek or main channel will always have crappie near or under them regardless of brush. They just like the cover of the larger docks. Brush will help it out though as far as numbers go!
    Good luck!
    Tight Lines!
    Jason Piper

Post Thanks / Like

Been quiet a few years, but we used to go to Lake of the Ozarks to a place called Lakeview Resort(i think). They had a heated dock probably 20X20, the interior was like a walk way with a short handrail around the inside. From the look of the bank I'll bet there was a creek channel that turned right under it. Like pappy said, they sank alot of brush under it. TEA73 do you know the place, not sure on the name. Been to many years ago, think it was at the 11 mile marker. Also as JT said, look for rodholders, cleaning sinks and tables. Rodholders are a dead give-away theres probably cover somewhere close...izzy
    Last edited by izzysfishin; 01-18-2006 at 04:21 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Indeed izzy! I forgot all about that! Thanks for getting my back! Minnow buckets and fish traps are another thing to look for on docks! You know there's going to be brush when you have all of those ingredients!
    Tight Lines!
    Jason Piper

Post Thanks / Like

Good advice CP. It always pays to be pleasant with property owners. The vast majority of them are very friendly. Goodwill from property owners is declining because many fishermen act like idiots when they fish. Don't be afraid to speak up when you see someone abusing a lake or someone property. We need to use common sense when dealing with abusive fishermen, but something needs to be said when they are destroying our good reputations and the fun for the ret of us. Don't get into shouting matches with people just firmly rebuke them and stop. People getting caught doing something wrong generally get testy and might bend your ear a little, but I've been using careful rebukes on unruley fisherman since I was in my early 20's and it makes a difference.
    Good things come to those who bait.