Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new to KC & Smithville Lake

Post Thanks / Like

Question new to KC & Smithville Lake

I have been told that Smithville lake is a good place to go, but struggling to find detailed info on it. Do you have to pay to "get in?"

Also, it seems to be a big place and I hear you all discussing locations with letters and #'s, and I can't figure out what you're talking about. Are there certain areas of SV lake that are best for Crappie or is the entire lake decent, just depending on the day?

Any tips or suggestions will be appreciated!

Also, I am new to crappie fishing - I just posted some Q's in the main forum - please hop over there if you have any tips you can give me!

Post Thanks / Like

Smithville is a good lake. Truman IMO is the best lake in MO, Ton of big crappie, withought big boats of LOZ.

What area do you live in? For me, in Lees Summit it makes more sense to me to go to Truman rather then Smithville, but I also fish the Jackson Co lakes a lot.

I belive Smithville is 18.00 per day, or they sell a yearly pass. Truman is 3.00 per day at the corps ramps. Plenty of free ramps also.

Do you have map chips of any kind for fishfinder or handheld GPS? This is a must have to me, Lots of Timber on both lakes. Although you can navigate a lot of Smithville without it and still catch fish, but on Truman I wouldn't go out without digital maps.

W is the highway that crosses Smithville, and there is a ramp there. A lot of people fish the bridge pillars. Fun place for the family to catch a ton of fish.

Hope some of this helps.

keeferfish is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Smithville Lake

Lots of good info here

Post Thanks / Like

I live up near the airport - where is Truman Lake?? Smithville Lake is about 25-30 min for me.

So, if I am driving along W highway once I get up there, will I see the bridge you are talking about?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NorwayStacie View Post
    I live up near the airport - where is Truman Lake?? Smithville Lake is about 25-30 min for me.

So, if I am driving along W highway once I get up there, will I see the bridge you are talking about?
    Take 92 Hwy (from I-29) to 169, head North to W, take a right and go about 1.5 - 2 miles.

There are several places on Smithville to go that don't charge...

Good lake but it can be a frustrating lake also.

Lots of boat traffic on the weekends!

Post Thanks / Like

Truman would be a haul for you then. Clinton, MO. Not sure if you have a boat or not, but a lot of people fish the banks under the bridges. Slip bobber might be the best technique for that.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome aboard, stacie. Lots of good people and information on here. I look forward to your posts.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty ia a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.

Post Thanks / Like

Click the link posted by Keeferfish... look down the right column until you see "map." Click it. You will see numbered access points maintained by the Corps of Engineers. Take an afternoon and check them out. Some offer good bank fishing. You didn't say if you'd be fishing from a boat or from the bank. There is only one free ramp that I know of... just south of Plattsburg on the north end of the lake. I've seen people launch canoes, kayaks and small jon boats from some of the other sites but you'll need to stick to the improved ramps if you have anything bigger. Clay County Parks and Rec operates the ramps at Camp Branch, Crows Creek, Hwy W and Little Platte... and yes, they charge... You can get a season boat/vehicle pass or pay by the day.

The Mo Conservation Atlas Conservation Atlas | Main Search | Atlas Database version 2.0 offers info on smaller lakes ... You might check out Tobacco Hills Lake in the Guy B Park Conservation Area... It has good bank fishing, good boat ramp (electric motor only) but it's not a crappie lake... BIG bluegill and as well as bass and 'cats.

Keep checking the forum... lots of us fish Smithville.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NorwayStacie View Post

Smithville is a good lake . No need to drive to Truman for now . I have caught crappie throughout the lake and just moved here in Dec.
    Find the shad around the standing timber or brushpiles , and the crappie aren't too far away .
    Keeper Black crappie can be hard to come by , but there are some nice White Crappie in the lake .

Post Thanks / Like

welcome aboard cdc enjoy your time on here, and good luck to you and yours on fishing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast