Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Bamboo - Got my hands on a lot - Is it good for underwater structure?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bamboo - Got my hands on a lot - Is it good for underwater structure?

Guys - Quick questions please - Got my hands on a lot of really nice freshly cut bamboo stalks, with branches and leaves. I have two spots that has 20 feet of water - Any guidance related to the best way to sink these 30-40 stalks. I have access to house bricks and was thinking that 3-5 bricks attached to the bottom would allow these 10-12 foot stalks to remain upright. Because the caviaties are sealed on bamboo will these pieces naturally float in an upright position or do I need to place a floatation device on the upper portion of each stalk. Also should I drill 2-3 small holes in the lowest 3-5 sections allowing these to fill with water to reduce the amount of bricks needed to keep it on the bottom.

Most of these pieces are the size of 2"-3" PVC pipe....

Thanks in advance for the feedback. Mark

Post Thanks / Like

I think this will answer your question.

Bamboo Crappie Condo's

Post Thanks / Like

5 Gallon bucket and put the bamboo in and then at least 3/4 filled with concrete. Drop them in and if you want to make sure they stand up, fill the bucket with concrete and then tie a empty pop bottle up higher so it hold the boo upright.

Oh and you can also use cinder blocks and stick it through the holes until you have a nice bunch, maybe use 2 or 3 blocks tied together? I have not used this way, but know some have.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Boo is excellent Crappie structure!

Just remember that Bamboo is very buoyant and the more air you can let out of the joints in the canes the better it will sink and stay in the same place you drop it. I use a 1/8" drill bit and cordless drill to drill 2 holes per joint in the larger joints, 1 hole at the bottom and 1 at the top of eack joint will let all of the air out.

I made these structures:
    http://www.crappie.com/crappie/crapp...structure.html
    http://www.crappie.com/crappie/crapp...ck-jungle.html
    ... and if hadn't drilled them they'd have floated around even with the 50 lbs. on concrete I used for weight.
    Last edited by GCD; 06-15-2010 at 05:58 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

OK GCD, which did better? brushy ones or non brushy?

Post Thanks / Like

holy crap i cant believe i never thought of that. Well bamboo patch time for you to go. Momma will be so happy and so will the crappie. I have some stalks that are 30 feet tall and 14 inchs round. I think ill cut them off about 12 feet and sink them in 25 feet of water. I still cant believe i never thought of that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BamaBill View Post
    OK GCD, which did better? brushy ones or non brushy?
    To tell the truth Bill, I ended up cutting the branches off of the bushy ones before I dropped them. We were having some typical windy March days when I built those and noticed that the bushy were getting blown over (laid on their side) while the ones with no branches never moved. I realized that the more surface area you have and the less aerodynamic your structure is, the more likely it is to move. All of my Boo structures are in the same spot I put them back in March, even with the 4 and five inch rain days we had back in April.

My jigs just glide through them and they hold good fish. They're no different than PVC condos except I didn't have to buy the PVC and the Boo was free! I like free!:D

Post Thanks / Like

You drop the structure, tell me where it is, and I'll test it with my rod. Deal?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Charles View Post
    You drop the structure, tell me where it is, and I'll test it with my rod. Deal?
    ... ok, but you gotta cut the cane and mix the concrete!