Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: "i Wanna Play Football!!!!!!!"

Post Thanks / Like

Default "i Wanna Play Football!!!!!!!"

Scream this really loud in the voice of some fake professional wrestler 3 times and put on your game face. Now, look in the mirror.

This football mentality that seems to dominate states like Oklahoma is a shame. Oh I've heard all the arguments in favor of football; "It builds character, it teaches an individual how to work as a team, makes a winner out of a loser..........blah, blah, blah......... "

The professors at OU and OSU that teach science, mathmatics, engineering make around $100K per year. The football coaches make closer to a million or more.

The budget for football is astronomical, while the budget for health sciences is nominal.

Even if some kid makes it to the pros and even if he gets a superbowl ring.......what does he have? Oh yea, the great memories and all the partying after the games.

He also has a beaten up body that will make him miserable in his golden years.

I had a guy working with me making 1/3 my salary and he was quite crippled up after playing in the pros. Not sure his superbowl ring was worth it or not? He wore it, but he wore the scars of a body long ago worn out.

My message is simple: Encourage your son or daughter to seek a higher level than sports. A degree in engineering will last forever. Their knees could only last the first quarter of the big game.

I WANNA PLAY FOOTBALL!!!!
    AMERICANS: Willing to cross a frozen river to kill you, in your sleep, on Christmas, totally not kidding, we've done it.

Post Thanks / Like

I WANT TO FISH!!!!! Not near as hard on the body!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

You got that right Stink. I never got interested in football. I would much rather hunt down the pig skin and butcher him for a smokin good time I have always enjoyed going after something with fur,fins,feathers or hair rather than a little white ball or a big brown ball.

Post Thanks / Like

Default I agree

Very good point! How about all the permanent brain injuries? They have proven that the helmets are almost useless! You know high school and middle school are the same way.....more money is spent on football than other sports. BUT to be fair...football brings in money to pay for students to play other sports which don't bring in enough money to pay for themselves....basketball, wrestling, soccer, golf, baseball, etc. Hard to believe that football pays for itself in high school, but people say it does.

Some people say school sports keep kids in school. Some ask if that is truly all that is keeping them in school. How about being in school for an education? Yes, I am a teacher! Could you tell? :D

What a can of worms! Now with all that mess about Pac 10 and ????? do you think all of those games are going to be televised free? Ticket prices will go up and the games will probably be put on pay-per view or something.

Peke (Glad I don't watch football!)

Post Thanks / Like

I see the point you're making, Stink. I do have one thing to add to your post. In regards to the salaries of professors versus those of the coaches....I will use OU as an example because that is where I went for my undergrad. A big reason why the football coaches make so much money is because the football programs bring in much more money (and exposure) to the university than the average college department does. I would also guess that these coaches put in more time doing their job than the average professor...there is no summer in a football coaches world.

Please don't take offense, as I do agree with you to an extent....

Like Peke said...."what a can of worms!"

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I think that most colleges look at Basketball and Football programs as a revenue stream to bring in money for the college in general. The more you win, the more people are willing to pay for tickets and memorabilia and a higher price they are willing to pay. To win you gotta have good coaches. To have good coaches, you gotta pay em.

Post Thanks / Like

Well Stink, My brother-in-law broke his back playing football in high school....a pretty permanent injury for life. The pain led to alcohol and an early death at age 49. My sons did not play football..one retired from Hewlett Packard in California at age 50 and the other has a good job in So. California at age 46. Those injuries are too hard on the body. These GOLDEN DAYS are hard enough.

Post Thanks / Like

Default agree again!

Southern Woman, well said! Sounds like your kids are doing well. Wish I could send my 26 year old daughter to you. She has a bachelor's degree in Political Science and can't find a job. She decided against a law degree. I think she was tired of school. :D

Peke