Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crappie Gear

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie Gear

Hey all, my name is Jason and I'm new here. I live in Michigan and about 10-12 years ago I use to get Crappie all the time. Now it seems with a lower water level or some other reason I don't come across them as much as a matter of fact I caught one last night for the first time in roughly 10 years.

The Crappie I caught last night has given me hope that their are more to be caught. The thing I'm curious about is I want to use a light pole and reel. I have a light action Ugly Stick and I was thinking of putting 2lb test line on it. I had 6 pound and I wasn't able to cast small jigs well at all. So basically I am just curious if 2lb is decent for Crappie fishing. Also, I fish jigs strictly typically 1/8 oz Jig with a 3 inch curly tail, but if I remember correctly Crappie didn't seem to like the curly tail and were more prone to hit a tube like jig, am I way off here? I caught last nights Crappie on a 1/16 white jig with a leech and am just wondering if anyone could suggest some good crappie jigs.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, you have the jig weight right. I am sold on the 1/16, a 1/24 is also good. I only go up to a 1/8 when it is windy. I know every state and location has different factors, but I hardly ever throw anything over 2 inches long. 3 inches would be a little big I think, but some people do use them. however I think you are going way too light on the line. Try 4 pound test, I just think 2 is not worth it. I use 6 pound most of the time. I like tubes better than curly grubs except when trolling. white is a good color.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MichiganCrappie79 View Post
    I was thinking of putting 2lb test line on it. I had 6 pound and I wasn't able to cast small jigs well at all. So basically I am just curious if 2lb is decent for Crappie fishing.
    2# line is strong enough for crappie. I've landed nice bass and catfish on 2#. The problem with it is that you will lose a lot of jigs. I suggest 4# mono or braid. Try Fireline in 4# or 6# or Power Pro in 8# or 10#.

Jiggin_Joe is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I like 4# myself and you might want to try some hair jigs under a float to.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v421/jokerpoker/logo.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Hey all, my name is Jason and I'm new here. I live in Michigan and about 10-12 years ago I use to get Crappie all the time. Now it seems with a lower water level or some other reason I don't come across them as much as a matter of fact I caught one last night for the first time in roughly 10 years.

The Crappie I caught last night has given me hope that their are more to be caught. The thing I'm curious about is I want to use a light pole and reel. I have a light action Ugly Stick and I was thinking of putting 2lb test line on it. I had 6 pound and I wasn't able to cast small jigs well at all. So basically I am just curious if 2lb is decent for Crappie fishing. Also, I fish jigs strictly typically 1/8 oz Jig with a 3 inch curly tail, but if I remember correctly Crappie didn't seem to like the curly tail and were more prone to hit a tube like jig, am I way off here? I caught last nights Crappie on a 1/16 white jig with a leech and am just wondering if anyone could suggest some good crappie jigs.
    What type of reel are you using?
    I suggest an open face rather than a baitcaster. An open face with 4-8 lb test will work just fine and will throw a jig a lot further, at least it dose for me.
    Politicians should be required to wear their corporate sponsors uniform like NASCAR !

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

4lb for open water, 6 around cover. Panfish assasin tiny shad bodies put a lot of fish in my boat, various colors. 1/32, 1/24, 1/16 for most of my presentations, I only use 1/8 in deeper or windier conditions. Crappie like a slow, almost motionless fall- meaning hardly any retrieve necessary. Tight hi-vis line indicates strikes that are never felt. Good luck, keep us posted.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info guys. I am using a small Daiwa spin cast reel. The problem I'm having is I can only cast like 10 feet with the small jigs...I'm debating on putting my reel on a long fly rod...they do that here to catch whitefish. I think my rod is too short to get a good whip action when I cast. What are some of the rides you fine folks use for fishing light tackle for panfish?

Post Thanks / Like

In your other thread you mention that you are fishing from shore. If so, use a bobber. The added weight will allow you to cast plenty far enough.

2010 NWR Bash Crappie Division Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TapOut64 View Post
    In your other thread you mention that you are fishing from shore. If so, use a bobber. The added weight will allow you to cast plenty far enough.

I have tried a few times with a bobber, maybe I should give it some more time. I'm just starting to wonder if the Crappie are even there anymore. Somebody told me that I won't catch them this time of year, I figure they must be somewhere as they didn't just disappear.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info guys. I am using a small Daiwa spin cast reel. The problem I'm having is I can only cast like 10 feet with the small jigs...I'm debating on putting my reel on a long fly rod...they do that here to catch whitefish. I think my rod is too short to get a good whip action when I cast. What are some of the rides you fine folks use for fishing light tackle for panfish?
    You should be getting much more distance with a 1/8 oz jig, even with 6# line. The closed face on a spincast reel will cut down on your casting distance. Try a spinning reel, but don't go too small on the spool. Also, a longer, softer action rod will get you more distance.

The Bass Pro Microlites have a nice action, and they're not too expensive. They come in a bunch of lengths, but I'd pick 6' as the minimum, particularly if you're fishing from shore. For a reel, I'd suggest a Daiwa or Shimano in the 2500 size. Just pick a model that fits your budget.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast