Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pulling Crank Baits

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pulling Crank Baits

I was thinking of rigging my boat to pull crank baits. Last night I was reading an article about pulling crank baits and the author said that black crappie do not bite well on crank baits. Here in nothern Michigan wear I live we have black crappie. Is he right about not catching black's on crank baits?

Post Thanks / Like

It's more about their habits than their preferences if that makes sense. I'm sure a black crappie would take a crankbait if it was presented to it but you typically are not going to be trolling crankbaits where black crappie like to hang out. The black crappie are more cover oriented where as the white crappie will suspend in open water loosely relating to structure.
    I got 350 heads on a 305 engine.
    I get 6 miles to the gallon.
    I aint got no good intentions.

Post Thanks / Like

I troll cranks a lot and the above post is prob right on the money, all the time I have trolled cranks I have never caught a black, even in a lake that has a good mix of both. Just my experience though.

-ROMANS 10:9- PHILIPPIANS 4:13

Post Thanks / Like

I do catch a few blacks on cranks but I think the post above is correct. It is hard to pull where the blacks like to hang out.
    Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.
    Ronald Reagan -

Post Thanks / Like

I fished a lake yesterday that has both black and white. I only pulled cranks for a short while and wasn't really marking fish but did hook up with three black crappie.

In the past fishing this lake I have caught just as many black crappie as white crappie so who knows.

2010 NWR Bash Crappie Division Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TapOut64 View Post
    I fished a lake yesterday that has both black and white. I only pulled cranks for a short while and wasn't really marking fish but did hook up with three black crappie.

In the past fishing this lake I have caught just as many black crappie as white crappie so who knows.
    Do you call the fish in the picture a Black Crappie? Looks like a white.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Things I have caught Black Crappie on

Quote Originally Posted by ausable riverboat View Post
    I was thinking of rigging my boat to pull crank baits. Last night I was reading an article about pulling crank baits and the author said that black crappie do not bite well on crank baits. Here in nothern Michigan wear I live we have black crappie. Is he right about not catching black's on crank baits?
    The first two Black Crappie I caught in Michigan were caught on a XCalibur XR50 1/2 oz lipless crank bait (Chart / Blue). I think both were 12 inch fish. I also catch them on Suspending minnow style hard baits.
    "My other car is a plastic canoe"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ausable riverboat View Post
    No need to pull expensive cranks if you want to catch Black Crappie, I'm long line trolling jigs in 18-25' of water and catching nice BC.

Just increase the weight of your jigs, I use a double jig rig with a 1/8 in front and a 1/16 trailing 2' behind with 2" plastic grubs. Using 6# test and a trolling speed of between .8-1.0 mph I'm getting down to about 15' with just a long cast behind the boat.

I caught these 11 in 3 hours last Thurs. using 3 rods.

Had twice that many 9-10" ones I threw back.

Post Thanks / Like

The blacks I catch come from over the top of brush piles and stumps. Usually they are in 17-25 fow and I'll fish down 14 or so feet depending on where the fish are hanging. I catch a lot if I'm following a ledge and drift off the ledge over deeper water.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JBledsoe View Post
    Do you call the fish in the picture a Black Crappie? Looks like a white.

Definitely looks like a black to me.. count the dorsal spines, and it has no vertical bars like the typical white.. the dorsal spines really tells the story
    It is not about the equipment you have to use,
    It is about how you use the equipment you have. :D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast