Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Crappie Outta State

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie Outta State

Does the same basic tenniques that would work in Florida also work in other states too?

In March, me and my dad got this big fishing trip planned for a week. We're goin to Lake Dale Hollow in Tn. I heard its the best time of year for crappie along with smallmouth and stripers. That lake is massive, so can somone help me out in weeding out the sucky spots? WEhich part of the lake is usually better for each fish?

thanks...
    Stop Global Whinning!

Post Thanks / Like

Tony, No Stripers Here.Depending on weather some Crappie will be pre-Spawn. Try mouths of Creeks,Flats leading in to Bushes, ect. I would say your methods there will work here. Where are you staying[what part of lake]? might be able to help more if I know.
    Good Fishin To Ya!! Dennis Dale Hollow Crappie www.dalehollowcrappie.4t.com

Post Thanks / Like

Dont know much about stripers? Thats alright. I been hearing that mostly everything Im looking for is moving into the creeks, so I guess thats where Im headed.

We will be around the southwest portion of the lake. thats where we're gonna be staying. When would be the better time of year, april or march?
    Stop Global Whinning!

Post Thanks / Like

April , March weather is unpredictable. by April its usually leveling off=Better fishing.
    Good Fishin To Ya!! Dennis Dale Hollow Crappie www.dalehollowcrappie.4t.com

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Question techniques ...

yes. methods ... yes. Equipment ... yes. Baits ... yes. Depth ... no

You have to consider that, many lakes North of you are going to be much deeper than you're used to. Dale Hollow will be quite a bit deeper than your typical Fla lake. It's also very clear water. Crappie may be spawning in much deeper water, under those conditions.
    March at Dale will be much different than March in Fla. You might get into some spawning Smallmouth, but the Crappie would probably still be in their late Winter mode (unless, of course, they have a real mild Winter or early Spring).

I think what Dennis is saying is ... there ARE NO "Stripers" in Dale Hollow !! There are, however, several other species to consider ... like Walleye, Trout, & Muskie.

Here's the approx spawning periods of the main fish species of Dale Hollow -

Smallmouth Bass Early Mar - Late Apr
    Largemouth Bass April - May
    Walleye Late Feb to Late Mar
    Muskie Early Feb to Late Mar
    Crappie April - Early June

And here's the "average" water temps per month -

Average Water Temperature Degrees Fahrenheit
    Month Surface 10' Depth 20' Depth Air Temp
    Jan 43 43 43 41
    Feb 46 45 44 44
    Mar 53 52 51 53
    Apr 60 59 57 63
    May 75 73 65 71
    Jun 83 82 75 77
    Jul 84 84 80 80
    Aug 81 81 81 75
    Sep 75 75 75 67
    Oct 65 65 65 53
    Nov 56 55 55 43
    Dec 48 48 48 41

You would also be advised to fish the North shores of any part of the lake that you are on ... the water will warm faster, there.

I've never fished Dale Hollow ... so I'm not speaking from personal experience (on Dale Hollow, in particular). Dennis will correct me, if I have made any mistakes in my assessment. Hope you have a successful trip !! Be sure and take some pics and report back to us, on the board ........ luck2ya ....... cp

Post Thanks / Like

If you are taking a boat with you, put in on the river. The Cumberland has what many experts believe to be the best striper fishing in the country.

Post Thanks / Like

Ah, ok, cause I heard there was stripers around there somewhere.

Thanks for that information, I guess the watter is gonna be pretty cold in march, It rarely ever gets that cold here... well the water... Occasionally it will get 57 58 59... I never seen in 51 52... Unless after one of our really really cold nights that hover above freezing.

My dads got off work in March, so thats when we're going. But we're going mainly for smallmouth, so I guess thats the best time to go, sense they like colder water.
    Stop Global Whinning!