Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Rockefeller Informatio

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rockefeller Informatio

I know a couple of you fish Rockefeller some, I need some help. Wife and I were going crabbing and fishing on the south end of Big Lake in the Morning, however looks like the wind won't allow us to. I have never been to Rockefeller and need some information on where to launch and how to get to some of those weirs I see ya'll talking about. Maybe Sneaky Pete or Shadow can help.
    Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey TIger!
    Head south through Creole, then east on LA 82 through Grand Chenier. A couple of miles past the W&F complex on the right (You can't miss it), you will come to a dredged slip on the right with a small oil-field office alongside it. Immediately before the office is a road that leads you around the back of the slip and to a pair of back-down ramps. Note: Lots of folks crab-fish and even catch reds along the edge of the slip, which is referred to as Joseph Harbor. Also, do not launch prior to official sunrise.
    Upon launching, head down the straightaway to the tee. Immediately on the right is a weir. Following the main canal around to the left, then to the right again, you will enter another long straightaway. Take a left into the first major canal you come to and slow down, as another weir is close on your left. Passing this one up, continue along to the first canal on the right. This one is shallow, so stay on step while entering it. A weir is at the back on the left.
    If you keep going straight, you will soon pass a production facility. Take a left into the first canal past it, and another weir will be on your left. All those spots are popular, but somewhere amongst 'em you should find a good place to pass some time.
    Bon chance.
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Damn. That's what I call some quality information. My wife's head is spinning as she is reading it. How is the fishing in that area. Also, should we expect a large crowd tomorrow, Sat. Thanks again for the information.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah Tiger, I'm afraid the place will be a bit crowded tomorrow. Nevertheless, all the folks seem to get along - just show a little consideration.
    One thing. Fishing in that area is not very good during summer, especially if you aren't seasoned to it. If the tide is falling - that's what you are hoping for - you can catch reds and flounder on the downcurrent side of the weirs. Shrimp on bottom.
    There are possession limits there on crabs and shrimp, so be aware - and be prepared to be checked. And obey the no-wake zones! And don't feed the alligators! But most of all, have fun!
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

I have only been out there a couple times, the one that Pete is talking about after the long staight away, on the left, the first weir, while we were castnetting for shrimp there were some people that were docked there and fishing, they were catching some fish, i don't know what all kinds, but i know i seen a guy fight a bull red that looks like it would have gone around 20lbs only to lose it when he was trying to get it in the boat. Further down at the weirs to the left of the platform Pete mentioned, the wife and I both caught each a black drum that weighed around 30-35 lbs. I very seldom fish for anything other than the bull reds and drum and I know there are both in there. Not sure about specks and flounders.
    You can't fish with a hung line!

Post Thanks / Like

Dwain, I sent you a PM back. You can launch before day light but you can't leave a certain area until after sun rise. As for the possesion limits, it is 25 pounds of head on shrimp and 12 dozen crabs PER BOAT. The game wardens down there do check regurally but stay within your limits and they won't give you any problems. They have always been nice to me.:D Oh one other thing, if you do get on the specks, it is 25 per person down there and not the 15 per person that we have in big lake. Good luck and let us know how you do.
    Dwyane
    The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary!

SMILE- A curve that can set a lot of things straight!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for the information. We decided not to go. Think we will wait til we can go during the week. Funny thing. The wind forecast kept us from making the trip to south Big Lake. Wouldn't you know, woke up this morning to calm weather.