Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: blitz

Post Thanks / Like

Default blitz

has anyone ever experienced a "blitz" with crappies?a blitz basicly means the fish are going crazy crashing baitfish or whatever else on or near the surface.i've witnessed this twice with crappies!first time was a little less violent than the second,but we noticed bluegills up and all around the surface.crappies were right underneath them,and were easily caught on my tiny jigs.after a while the bluegills would go back down and disapear for a while and return occasionaly.the second time was on a different day and crazy and violent in an awesome way!again there was bluegills near the surface,and i also noticed school of tiny tiny fish near the surface as well!and with those tiny fish up there all **** broke loose in the sweetest way!the crappies were swarming up like bluefish or something crashing them tiny fish to pieces!and this wasn't just tiny dinks,we pulled out big ones just as easily!the blitz didn't last forever,maybe an hour and a half.was some awesome action!wish it was like this every hour of the day!these were my blitz experiences.we were on a dock at a lake,not in a boat,close to shore.
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 06-10-2010 at 09:46 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I have experienced this when the crappie are spawning in shallow water and competing with the gills.

Post Thanks / Like

cool,so thats what was causing all of the crazyness.i love it and want it to happen more often.maybe there is a way to artificially make it happen...

Post Thanks / Like

tehre is no way to make it artificially happen

Post Thanks / Like

Never seen it with crappie but have with a hugh school of smallies on Lake Ontario.

Fatman

Post Thanks / Like

maybe this only happens at certain lakes with the right conditions,and in the spring

Post Thanks / Like

This is how White Bass feed on shad. The water will turn white from all the action. Gulls will be diving down picking up crippled or dead shad off of the surface. This will trip your trigger, if anything will. EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

You can add stripers to this too. Yesterday they were jumping out of the water chasing shad. They look like dolphins chasing bait.

Post Thanks / Like

Witnessed this a couple times in Northern Wisconsin during the mayfly hatch. First time I ever used a popper to catch crappie.

Post Thanks / Like

It is a regular occurence on a couple of the local lakes and reservoirs every fall. In very late September or the first two weeks of October the specks and gills gather in big schools and trash minnows and daphnia and copepods that have gathered on the surface. It is just like you said as far as only lasting an hour or so on the average, but if you are there it is amazing. In one of the reservoirs, shortly after sunrise, you can actually see the fish coming from as much as 100 yards away. The water surface begins to boil. They come from the main lake and head toward the river flow coming out from under a bridge from the other arm of the reservoir. Some of these schools of crappies and gills have literally hundreds of fish in them. Limits in a matter of 30 - 40 minutes are very common for the few of us who know where and when to watch for it. A clear bobber with a purple or orange 1/64oz jig suspended just 6 inches down and tipped with 2 Berkley Power Wigglers in white or 3/4 of an inch of an Eagle Claw Crappie Bait in natural color. Works every time and has for the last 30+ years.
    It is not about the equipment you have to use,
    It is about how you use the equipment you have. :D