Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any place for crappie fishing this time of year in Rhode Island?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Any place for crappie fishing this time of year in Rhode Island?

I am about to (business) travel to Rhode Island and stay or be in Warwick, West Greenwich, East Greenwich (and possibly downtown Providence) area. Jamestown and Newport are some of the other locations within Rhode Island where I'd like to have a stop.

Wherever I travel to, I'd like to try some fishing locally whenever possible (like in weekend or even weekday in evening if no work, and if fishing license is taken care of if required,...)

This forum has some sub sections (or forums) for quite some different States in the U.S., but there is not a one for Rhode Island (yes, yes I know Rhode Island is tiny:-)

So any of you happen to know some good places in Rhode Island for fishing (for crappie, and/or for some other spieces)?

Note if I fish while I am on travel, I do NOT keep any fish, but simply play some "catch and release" games, and do some photo takings of the locations,...

Thanks!
    James

Post Thanks / Like

Found Rhode Island government website where I can purchase a 3-day non-resident freshwater fishing license for 16 bucks.

Now only if I know where to fish!:-)

Post Thanks / Like

State record came from Watchaug Pond? Not much on line about RI crappie fishing, but this may help: Fishing Holes in Rhode Island

And this: Rhode Island Lakes | iFished
    Don't outsmart your common sense!
    Jack

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink James ...

Look Rhode Island over, using Google Earth. Looks to be quite a few bodies of water, some of significant size, within a short WNW drive of your Warwick destination. Get their names & then try and look them up online, and see if there's a public boat ramp or bank access that you could fish from. Alot of them seem to be surrounded by forest, or otherwise locked in by private housing ... so I'm not sure if access would be all that easy, in some cases.

You might also want to look thru these websites/links :

RI DEM/Fish and Wildlife-Public Boat Launching Sites

RIDEM/Division of Fish & Wildlife Home Page

New England Crappie & Panfish Fishing

... luck2ya ... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Redy2Fish. The websites you gave are of lots of help!:-)

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you crappiepappy, too for the excellent links!:-)

Post Thanks / Like

I was born and raised in RI; been living in Alabama for 32 years now. The only place I know of that holds crappie is Watchaug Pond. RI, being small, you won't have that far to travel. Good Luck!
    GET THE NET HAROLD, GET THE NET!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gansett View Post
    I was born and raised in RI; been living in Alabama for 32 years now. The only place I know of that holds crappie is Watchaug Pond. RI, being small, you won't have that far to travel. Good Luck!
    Thank you Gansett. Will consider Watchaug Pond, too!:-)

Post Thanks / Like

Some of my co-workers in Providence suggested a couple of places (lakes and reservoirs) to me, too. Can't wait to try it out next week:-)

Post Thanks / Like

Fished at Tioque Lake in West Greenwich/Kent County, Rhode Island three mornings in a row. And caught a nice crappie (close to 2 lbs) and a largemouth bass (close to 3 lbs) this morning. The previous two mornings caught lots of blugills (sunfish) and some pickerels...

Last edited by xiaolu; 06-25-2010 at 08:40 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast