Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I almost lost my youngest son wednesday morning.

Post Thanks / Like

Default I almost lost my youngest son wednesday morning.

Justin went on a camping vacation with his half sister and her dad near San Antonio along the Canyon river just before it ties into the Guatalupe river. They were planning on packing up everything at sun up this morning but were awakened at 5 am with ankle deep water in their tent. He said in less than 15 minutes the water was waste deep and they couldn't drive out. So with all the water force coming though, they grabbed ahold of a fence ( i think he said it was like a cement wall) and the debris build up against it with all the water pressure started breaking the fence so they had to let go and try to grab ahold of a tree. Justin said the current took his feet from under him and when he went under, both his legs went under either a pipe or a tree limb and hung him up. He said he was able to finally get to the surface enough to get his mouth out the water and took a deep breath and go back under and wiggle and push and managed to pass the rest of his body under whatever he was hung under. When he came up on the other side he grabbbed ahold of decent size tree and he said the lightning popped and he felt a tingle throughout his body come from the tree so he let go of the big tree and grabbed a small one. He said about that time he seen a big tree floating straight towards him so he hid as much as he could behind the tree he was hanging on to. The big tree wedged up against his tree and two others nearby but some of the limbs broke and pinned his legs together. After about a half hour struggle he was able to to free his legs and climb on top of the big tree that was wedged to get above the water. He said earlier while hanging on to the fence, it swept his legs out from under him and pulled his shorts clean off of him so he was standing there with only a white t-shirt. same thing happened to Kenny (his half sister's dad).
    He said that he seen 8-10 big 5th wheel campers floating and flipping/rolling down the river while he was hanging on. Kenny actually had one roll on him and smash him down under the water but he managed to get out from under it before he drowned. And when everything settled down, the river took everything they had brought except the two shirts that they were wearing. All the camping stuff, cell phones, wallets, even the 6 month old 2010 GMC Sierra pickup. I am glad that Justin took after me and don't stress very easily, he said that he knew not to panic because if he did then he wouldn't be able to think straight and he needed to be able to do that to survive it... They had someone go pick them up in San Antonio and bring them to Lake Charles and we went pick him up there. They are doing good. Just a few scratches and bruises but that will heal soon.
    You can't fish with a hung line!

anchorpuller is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm SO glad he and his sister and step-father are ok. What a nightmare!
    "Be Ye Fishers of Men" You catch them- He will clean them

PawPaw Gene is offline Crappie.com 2012 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow Johnny, that was close. Sure am glad that the story didn't end in a tragedy for y'all. I also hope that all of the other campers were safe.
    "gene"
    "G" Gone but not forgotten!!

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! Glad they are safe.
    Romans 6:23

Post Thanks / Like

Mercy Sakes, Johnny, that was close!
    I've been caught by sharp rises on creeks before, and it's scary and very dangerous. Justin and his crew had the Good Lord watching over them, plain and simple - they should be very thankful.
    Give him my best wishes - we met once at Bundick's this past winter.
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Johnny, what a close call......I am so happy that all are safe....your son was very smart to be able to get through all that.....this just points out that we should always send our kids out with a Prayer for the Lord to watch over them.....I always start my day of fishing with a Prayer to make it a safe day and good times....

I believe their safe return was the result of Prayers.....

Hair turning gray yet .......
    The "King" is coming
    This could be the Day....
    RETIRED LOUISIANA CRAPPIE HUNTER

Bob # 1 is offline Moderator Fisherman's Memorial Forum * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow.......what a story
    Thank you prayers are sent
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Testimonials
    Night fishing tips 101
    Temperature Guide Crappie

Fishing lights

docwaldo is offline Moderator LA Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

God is good. So glad to hear that he and they are okay.

mark
    Any man can be a father, but it takes a real man to be a DAD!!

Post Thanks / Like

Man Johnny! The man above was looking over Justin and his crew. They are all very lucky.
    Steve
    BamaFan

There are two things to aim for in life: First, to get what you want; and after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieves the second. Author unknown, but I like it!

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Johnny;

What a nightmare. This morning on the MSN page, I saw pics of Texas schoolbuses caught in the flood that were bent in a V shape around trees.

I can't imagine the force of that river water. How old is your son? It sounds like a real passage to manhood experience. I'd say "hold him tight and thank God for sparing him", but as cool under fire as Justin is he is probably holding you!
    Last edited by jlaughlin72; 06-10-2010 at 04:37 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast