Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: spider rig/ vertical trolling equipment???

Post Thanks / Like

Default spider rig/ vertical trolling equipment???

All right, question. I long line troll crank baits and jigs quite a bit, but I have never really done any vertical/spider rig type trolling. I'm looking to start at it this year, but need opinions on what kind of rods, brand & model, and lengths do you spider rig guys/gals use? Also when I pull I use individual rod holders and point the rods out the side, but I will be looking for a T-bar type set up. where I Iive its only 2 poles per person, so somthing that holds 4 poles will do, what do you guys/gals use? Not looking to start a debate about this brands better than that, just looking for advice on what works for you. I have an idea about the poles & holder I'm gonna get, but just wanna see if I'm on the right track or not. Thanks for any input you have, have a great day all, God bless.

-ROMANS 10:9- PHILIPPIANS 4:13

Post Thanks / Like

I use 10ft Crappie Wizard poles when spider-rigging. 10ft seems like the perfect length to handle for me. I just use small spinning reels on the poles, spooled with 6lb test line. For baits, I usually use a jig tipped with a minnow.

I have an add-a-seat which allows two people to sit up front and two tite-lok t-bars with 4 rod holders each. A definite must is having quality graph up front with you.

Post Thanks / Like

I think 12 ft rods are probably the most popular for Spider Rigging. But I also use 10 footers from time to time and I have a couple 14 footers as well. Since you'll only be using 4 rods at the most and using side rod holders, then two 12's and two 10's would probably work good for you.

However, I'd get a T bar set up from Driftmaster Rodholders and Spider Rig from the front of the boat if that's an option. You can find them at Monk's: Driftmaster rod holders

You won't find any better rod holders out there.

As for rods, I get mine from GT Crappie Zone. His 12 ft rods are priced right and these rods are much more durable than B'n'M rods. You can find them here. GT Crappie Rods

That should get you started. Then we can talk about jigs, rigs and what have ya's :D

Post Thanks / Like

Purchase (4 ) BnM ProStaff Trolling Rods in the 14ft version and (2) T250HC Driftmaster Trolling Racks with the Gunslinger rod holders and you are set. The Gunslingers are important cause you will be able to retreive your rod from the rack quicker, your hands have more room when doing this. You can spider rig, push cranks, longline troll and do whatever with these rods plus in shallow water the 14 footers will keep you from spooking fish. They have good backbone at the base to pull in the biggest crappie yet have a sensitive tip to detect the lightest strikes. Monks crappie on the net will fix you right up. This is ironic Jeepguyjames cause just yesterday I was running a search on all your post about Southern Pro Stingers. Trust me you will not go wrong at all with this setup. We spider rig here in Georgia on Lake Oconee and slay them with this setup.

cevans is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

or you can check out Home for rod holders too,,they are very good as well.

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    authorized by: Billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Hay James
    I've been kind of looking at these Hy-Teks... Page Title
    Looks to me like they would be pretty easy to move out of the way when not in use or by adding another base they could be used on either side of the boat. I've been wanting to put something in the front of my boat also.

Post Thanks / Like

Well the length rod to me depends on what depths of water you will be fishing. I use 12' B&M Capps and Coleman rods when fishing in depths over 8 feet. If I fish shallower I use 16' B&M PST rods. I can still catch fish with the 12's in the shallow water I just feel that I spook less fish with the longer rods.

As far as the holders go, well no need for me to answer that.
    Scott Echols
    Hi-Tek Stuff
    Crazy Angler Tackle

Post Thanks / Like

I use 12 ft Wally Marshall tightline specials and HiTek rod holders. I will probably go to 14 footers if I can ever find room in my budget. I have my holders set back a little so they are easy to reach and I lose about a foot and a half to two feet. When i am sitting in my fishing seat and look out over the poles they just dont seem like they are out there far enough.
    I got 350 heads on a 305 engine.
    I get 6 miles to the gallon.
    I aint got no good intentions.

Post Thanks / Like

Also meant to recommend replacing the big wingnut on the top of each rack with a regular nut with a flat base, if you decide on these, Monk has these nuts as well. This steadies the rack where it will not swing around in heavy wind or if a big striper or cat showers down on your rods.

Post Thanks / Like

go with hi techs and you don't have to do a thing to them other than mount them and go fishin...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast