Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bluegills

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bluegills

Has anyone been catching Bluegills or Shellcrackers ? Are they on the beds ? I might try for them this weekend on Smithville or Watkin's Mill .
    My wife enjoys catching them and I need to get her out of the house and on the water with me .

Post Thanks / Like

If you like big gills, you might want to try Tobacco Hills Lake in the Guy B Park conservation area on 371 north of Platte City. It's managed for trophy gills I saw a kid with a basket full of them earlier this year.... and the lake has an 8" min.
    Area Summary

Post Thanks / Like

Scott,

the main nesting period is over for bluegill and redear. Tobacco Hills is the place to go for big bluegill and there will be some fish on the nest all summer. Watkins has good redear, but they are much more difficult to catch when they aren't nesting. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Default HP Limit

Does anyone know if there is a horsepower restriction or is this a no wake speed only lake like Watkins Mill?
    Last edited by STL Crappie Nightmare; 06-10-2010 at 01:25 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by STL Crappie Nightmare View Post
    Does anyone know if there is a horsepower restriction or is this a wake speed only lake like Watkins Mill?
    If i am correct, I believe the regulations say trolling motor only.

Post Thanks / Like

watkins mill has a 10hp limit butt you may run a big moter at idle only(no wake) speed

A gun, like any other source of power, is a force for either good or evil, being neither in itself, but dependent upon those who possess it
    From an old movie I saw

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jackb View Post
    If i am correct, I believe the regulations say trolling motor only.
    I wonder if you have to take your prop off like at Jacomo if you have a larger than allowed motor on the lake?

Post Thanks / Like

Tobacco Hills is trolling motor only but you do not have to remove your prop.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MOfishmgr View Post
    Tobacco Hills is trolling motor only but you do not have to remove your prop.
    Thanks Jake, how is the post spawn bluegiill fishing there and do you know a good place to target them?

Post Thanks / Like

The best luck I've had post-spawn is to use crickets on an ultralight with as little weight as you can and cast them along the face of the dam in about 6 feet of water. I took Brent Frazee from the KC Star out one summer to do an article and we fished for about an hour and a half before we got stormed off and never had a cricket hit bottom! It made for a great article and some fun fishing. Of course fly fishing with poppers in the late afternoon or early morning can be fun too. I've usually done best around laydowns or overhanging limbs using poppers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast