Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Rod Repair

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rod Repair

Does anyone know where you can get a rod repaired around here anywhere? There was some talk of a place in KC a couple of weeks ago. My best friend gave my son a Garcia Conolon rod with a Cardinal 3 reel on it for graduation and it was delivered broken and we want to try and get it fixed if at all possible. This rod and reel are kinda special, my parents gave it to my best friend for graduation 33 years ago. We would like to keep it going if possible. Thanks guys, Dexter.
    Team Double D - " We're not famous, but we should be."

Post Thanks / Like

Dex, you might give Rogers sporting Goods a call 816-781-9026. Hopefully they can steer you in the right direction.

Post Thanks / Like

Double D,

I recently took a rod and had it fixed. The guy was reasonable and did the job quickly.
    Bobby Downum in Belton Mo. 322-6694 cell 665-8618 both Hope that helps.

-eyes

Post Thanks / Like

What's broken? If it's the blank, there might not be much that can be done. Otherwise, it can probably be repaired.

Post Thanks / Like

Double D. I see you are from Blue Springs. 40 Woods Bait shop at 40 Hwy (eastbound side) & Woods Chapel used to have a guy by the name of JD that had a shop inside the bait shop. He did rod/reel repair. I bought a few reel parts there but never had any work done myself. I'm not even sure if he is still there but it might be worth a phone call or drop by to see since you are close.

Guides and tips can be replaced easily. If the rod blank is broken, you might be able to salvage it. If broken in the middle, you can get a ferrule and make it a two piece rod. (although I personally hate 2 piece rods) If it is broken near the tip section, you can just put on a new tip and the rod will be a little stiffer than it used to be. You might also have to move one of the other guides depending upon where the break is. If the break is near the handle, you might be out of luck depending upon what type of handle it has. Some of the older baitcast handles had a plastic ferrule on the end of the rod that was just epoxied into the handle. That can be fixed easily.

If there is no salvaging it, you can just hand it by your favorite fish mount and use it to tell a big fish story on how that fish broke your rod but you landed it anyway.... Oh.. I forgot... fishermen don't lie. (cough cough..)

If you can give a better description (or photo) of the break and rod type, myself or others can probably tell you what your options are.

Post Thanks / Like

JD is gone.

Post Thanks / Like

Guys, the rod is broken in 2 places on the tip section between the 1st and 2nd guides just above where the rod comes apart. I dont know, it looks bad. They are broken pretty good.
    Team Double D - " We're not famous, but we should be."

Post Thanks / Like

i dont know anyone or place to tell you about that can help you out but best of luck finding someone, i hope it all works out for you. i know how special things that are given to you can be.

Post Thanks / Like

Guys, the rod is broken in 2 places on the tip section between the 1st and 2nd guides just above where the rod comes apart. I dont know, it looks bad. They are broken pretty good.
    If it is already a 2 piece rod with 2 breaks in the tip section, I'd say you're probably out of luck in doing much of a repair job.

If the breaks are fairly clean (not smashed where fibers are damaged), you might be able to use some pieces of a broken rod or other somewhat flexible material and insert them inside each end where the fit is snug to make a splice. (You can use masking tape to build up the thickness if needed.) Then just use epoxy to glue them in place. The action would be affected and it wouldn't look pretty but I don't think you have many other options. Good luck.