Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drop shot trolling

Post Thanks / Like

Default Drop shot trolling

I would like to get some of your methods for rigging a drop shot rig for trolling, either one or two Jigs/minnows per line. I've seen the Capps/Coleman rig, but I was thinking more of placing the sinker on the bottom with either one or two jigs/minnows above. Can some of you explain your setup? What line do you prefer for these setups?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Drop Shot

Hello Hooked, Go to the Georgia state board and look and see if that will help you. A couple of folks were talking about the drop shot methed yesterday. Ask some questions and you will get some help there. Good luck, Jimmy S.

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...=SearchResults

look at these this might be what you are talking about.

Post Thanks / Like

anyone have a pic of the capps/coleman rig. Those boys know how to fish!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Just what you want.

Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Try the standard Crappie Rig sold at Wal-Mart for $1.04, or at BPS for 99 cents...put a 1 to 1-1/2 once bell sinker on the bottom and go to work (lol)...good luck...

Bushrod

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

I drop shot fish most of the time. My method may not be as good as other's but this is the way I do it. First, I use 10 pound line on 12' rods and good reels. I then place a snap swivel 3-4' up from the end of the line. I then place a snap swivel about a 16"s under that one. I then tie on a 1/2 oz pensil sinker on the end of the line. I then snap on a 2/0 Eagle Claw pre-snelled gold aberdeen hook with a leader on the snap swivels. I use minnows as bait. I then very slow troll with the sinker barely touching the bottom. It will make the rod quiver where you can see that the sinker is dragging the bottom. You can also easily tell when you got one on. You can raise the rig as high as the crappie seem to be if needed by just reeling in some line.
    The sinker is designed to come off if it gets snagged. I rarely get snagged in the lake I fish in but if a lake has a lot of stuff on the bottom, you may get snagged a lot.
    I catch a ton of crappie this way and some other fish like bass and catfish sometimes also. I have caught 14 pound channels on this rig. In the areas I fish, I rarely get snagged.

Wardy Guest

Grizzly Jig sells some good pre-made rigs. I have used both they sell and both have good results with the right application. If you want to add color to the set up. small spinners and tipits can be added. Grizzly sells it all. The key to it all is location and boat control. Slow...slow...slower...

There is a difference in drop shotting and slow trolling.
    Last edited by Wardy; 01-18-2006 at 09:42 AM.

frank lawhead is offline RIP Frank - Crystal is now posting on his behalf.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Wardy

I,ve Bought Enough Of Those From Grizzly For My Wife [to Loose] ,they Thought I Was A Dealer Haha
    She Catches Fish And Its Easier To Buy Them Than Spend All Day Tying Them Haha
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Not for trolling, but for drop shot I use 1/4 or 3/8 diamond cut drop sinker and tie two hooks (palomar knot so the hooks stay perpendicular to the line) 12" from each other and about 20" above the sinker. I like the diamond cut sinker as they don't hang up too bad in rocks or brush but they will easily pull off if you do get caught. Save retying the hooks and new sinkers are easy to replace.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast