Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tachometers gone wild.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tachometers gone wild.

We've got a little 17' BassTracker with a 60 Merc. Recently, I've noticed the tach is going a little crazy, kind of racing up and down when under full power. The engine runs smoothly and isn't revving up or down or anything but the tach is going wild. It will be stable for a while, then it may jump 1,000 RPMs for a second or two, then back to normal. All with no change in throttle, and no audible indication that the engine actually changed RPMs. I was thinking maybe the cable was going bad or something.

Anyone seen this before?

Post Thanks / Like

Climb under your console & look on the back of the tach. You should see a small dial type indicator switch. Make note of what number it is set on, then take a tiny flathead screwdriver & turn the dial back & forth several times then set it back to where it was.

Mine did that once & that took care of the problem.

Post Thanks / Like

I will give that a shot. Thanks!

Don G is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a reg/rect going out...That was my problem
    USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

Post Thanks / Like

What's a reg/rect?

Me <- - - Not real bright.

Post Thanks / Like

Have you had any problems with your cranking battery going dead? That will be a telltale of your rect going out. It will also cause your tach to jump around as it is doing or even quit working all together.

The check I listed is the cheapest & easiest to do first. If doing that doesn't fix your problem, then chances are the rect/regulator is going out.

I am not real sure how to explain what the rect/reg is but I don know that it has something to do with sending a charge to your battery as well as sending the signal to your tach.

Post Thanks / Like

What is the best check if tach has quit working at all?

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Since it is jumping around, the first thing I would check is all your connections, especially the ground. They must all be clean and tight. Your tach gets its signal from the stator which also provides AC to the rectifier. If it is an older Merc you probably don't have a regulator. The easiest way to check the rectifier is with a volt meter. Connect it to the starting battery and get a reading with the motor not running. Then start the motor. If the rectifier is good you will see the voltage rise. You won't see much of a rise until about 2K RPM so its best to do this in the water. If connections is good and the battery is getting a charge, then its probably new tach time.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Ewww. Ok, I went the other day to pick up the boat and hit the trim to put on the lower unit support bar. Dead battery. Pops replaced the battery but I haven't had it out yet since then.

Can you give a brief explanation of what function the rectifier and/or regulator perform? I have a fair understanding of how engines in general work, but am pretty ignorant when it comes to outboards.

I'm checking on the year of the boat, it's not 'real' old. Early 90s maybe.

Now I'm a little more worried

Post Thanks / Like

Update:

It's a 1993 Tracker Pro-17 Special Edition. Motor is a 60hp Pro Edition EVINRUDE. Not Merc. Don't know why I thought that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast