Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Help with a rod

catchatoad Guest

Default Help with a rod

I'm looking to get into crappie fishing here in Missouri and need some help with a rod. I'll mostly be vertical fishing a jig.

Is a fly rod ok to use for this application? If so what are the guidelines for fly line weight vs. pound test line? The rods will vary from 8 to 10 foot.

I'll mostly be using 4-6 lbs test and 1/32,1/16 and 1/8 oz. jigs.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Terry
    Last edited by catchatoad; 01-16-2006 at 11:50 PM.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Catchatoad .......IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by catchatoad
    I'm looking to get into crappie fishing here in Missouri and need some help with a rod. I'll mostly be vertical fishing a jig.

Is a fly rod ok to use for this application? If so what are the guidelines for fly line weight vs. pound test line? The rods will vary from 8 to 10 foot.

I'll mostly be using 4-6 lbs test and 1/32,1/16 and 1/8 oz. jigs.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Terry
    Fly rods are OK for vertical jigging.

I wouldn't use the fly reel & fly line, though. I'd put a spinning reel on the handle and use mono.

You might also benefit from reading this: (pardon the shameless plug) -
    http://www.crappie.com/articles/crappiepappy.htm

.......... luck2ya .......cp

Post Thanks / Like

Default Poles

CT; It's good to have you aboard!! As far as jig poles, I've used BnM 11ft flyrods (jig poles) for longer than I remember and love them. I now have a 10.5ft Richard Williams pole that I like also (I fish with 2 poles at once and have one of each in my hands all the time). I only vertical jig fish and I use Martin flyreels with 8lb test line in either Hi-vis Gold Stren or Hi-vis Ironsilk and 1/32 or 1/16 jigs. Hope this helps.
    Catch and Release: Catch the slabs and Release the little'uns

Post Thanks / Like

I use Wally Marshall pro series crappie rods for vertical and float fishing. Ugly stick 5' LA rods for casting and dock shooting. Quantum hypercast and Shimano spirex reels. Berkley Sensation line 4#.

Post Thanks / Like

Fly rod should work very well. I used one for years although I was primarily casting. Depending upon the price of the rod, it may be designed to flex better in one direction, with the eyes down as you would use it fly fishing. Therefore a spinning reel may work better. I used a cardinal 4 spinning reel on mine off and on for years.
    One of the best days I ever had crappie fishing was with a fly rod, fly line, 6lb leader and a pink head 1/32 maribou hair jig. There was two of us and the fish were spawning around some willow trees in 5 or six feet of water.
    Just lay that jig out there let it sink and wait for the fly line to twitch. That was 41 years ago this spring and I still use that rod and reel to bream fish with.

Post Thanks / Like

CaT......I've jigfished with a BPS composite 9 foot fly rod for over 16 years. I had some high dollar graphites, but they don't last long fishing in the brush. I love the graphite for lightness and sensitivity, but they are just too fragile to jig with in the brush. With the composite, I have a very slight compromise in sensitivity, and the weight of the composite is a bit more, but still a light rod. I'd check both before I decided which to choose.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to try a couple of my fly rods this year for crappie. One is a 5 weight (9')and another is a 7 weight (9'). I tryed the 7 weight out this weekend bank fishing to see how I could roll cast a 1/16 oz jig under a fixed strike indicator. I was able to roll cast it fine, but the indicator was set about 2 ' from the jig. This will work fine for shallow water applications. I will also vertically jig with it if I take the indicator off (maybe use a split fly-fishing indicator so i can take it on/off without having to cut the jig off when switching techniques. I haven't tryed my 5 wt out yet, but it should at least work for vertical jigging if it doesn't have enough backbone to roll cast a jig with. I use an 8 foot 10 lb mono leader tied to my floating fly-line. I don't know if that will limit me to vertical jigging in water 8' or less, but I'll have to see for myself when I get my boat out this spring (come on spring!)

catchatoad Guest

Thanks for all you responses.

I should have been a little more specific in my question.

I'll be using an underspin Daiwa US40 reels and wanted to know what fly rod weight would be best for 1/16th and 1/8 oz jigs in a vertical presentation.

What is the best (or perferred) line weight fly rod for this application?

my choices are:

#4-5
    #5-6
    #6-7
    #7-8
    #8-9

Thanks again for you help,

Terry

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Arrow Don't know diddly about ...

fly rods ... but, from what I've read about "fly rod weights" (and how they're measured) ... and considering that you intend to use a UL underspin type of reel -- I think a 4 or 5 weight rod would be a good choice. I'd lean towards the 5wt (since you did specify that you would use jigs up to 1/8oz in weight). A 4wt might be a little "too whippy" ... but then that might be what you're looking for. I'd go with the wt that can handle lifting a 2lb fish out of the water ... without bending in half. The wt of the rod may have to take second place to the length. You'd probably want at least a 9ft rod ... so whatever you have/own that's closest to a 5wt 9ft'r should give you the action you seek - and perform as expected. Some good quality 6lb test line should round out the outfit. ........ luck2ya ........cp

ps - have a long handled landing net handy ... just in case the fish is a little too much for the rod/reel :D Here's hoping you have to use it often !!

catchatoad Guest

Default Thanks

cp.. again thanks for the info. I think I've made up my mind on this. I'm going with a 9' #4 and a 9'6" #5. When I get them if they are not right I can always spend more $$$$ and order a few more. I think you have me on the right path though.

Terry
    Last edited by catchatoad; 01-20-2006 at 01:05 AM.